Wizards keep Wittman as head coachJun 4, 2012 - 4:32 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - The Washington Wizards have decided to keep Randy Wittman as head coach.
Wittman took over in late January after Flip Saunders was fired following a 2-15 start. The Wizards were 18-31 under Wittman and won eight of their final 10 games, including six straight to conclude the abbreviated season.
"We are excited to bring Randy back as head coach and give him the opportunity to build on the positive momentum that the team showed under his leadership last season," said Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld in a statement Monday. "We were very pleased with the development of our young players and the commitment to winning he instilled despite taking over the team under difficult circumstances."
Wittman is in his third stint as an NBA head coach. He guided Minnesota from January 2007 through December 8, 2008 and Cleveland from 1999-2001, and owns a career mark of 118-238.
"I'm thrilled to be returning to work with these players and this organization," stated Wittman. "I felt that we made significant progress throughout last season and we are all looking forward to having a full summer, training camp and season to continue to improve this team."
Wittman, selected by Washington with the 22nd overall pick of the 1983 NBA Draft, appeared in 543 games over nine seasons with Atlanta, Sacramento and Indiana before retiring in 1992.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NBA veteran Collins tells SI he is gay Apr 29
- Boozer leads Bulls to victory in regular season finale Apr 18
- Bulls battle for five seed, welcome Wizards to Windy City Apr 17
- Shengelia provides spark for Nets in win over Wizards Apr 16
- Nets locked into fourth seed, host Wiz Apr 15
- Sixers roll past Wizards Apr 13
- Wizards entertain Sixers at Verizon Center Apr 12
- Heat defeat Wizards, set franchise season mark for wins Apr 11
- Heat aim for homecourt throughout playoffs against Wiz Apr 10
- Knicks win 13th in a row, clinch Atlantic crown Apr 10
- Knicks eye Atlantic Division crown versus Wizards Apr 9
- Celtics cruise past Wizards Apr 8