Agreement reached to sell GrizzliesJun 11, 2012 - 10:12 PM Memphis, TN (Sports Network) - The majority owner of the Memphis Grizzlies says he has found a buyer for the team.
Michael E. Heisley announced Monday an agreement to sell the Grizzlies to an entity owned by Robert J. Pera, the founder and CEO of the communications technology company Ubiquiti Networks.
In a statement, Heisley, who bought the Vancouver Grizzlies in 2000 before they moved to Memphis in 2001, said he has enjoyed his ownership and the support the team has received in its current home.
"I am confident that the franchise will continue its development toward being a perennial championship contender and an important member of the Memphis community," said Heisley. "I am particularly gratified that we have put together a team which is poised to continue its improvement.
"We have an outstanding team of players, coaching staff, and basketball and business management. In [Pera], we have a new owner who has expressed a total commitment to build on our success in Memphis."
The sale is subject to approval by the NBA Board of Governors as well as antitrust clearance and other conditions.
Pera said in a statement he was "excited about the opportunity to build on the work that has made the Memphis Grizzlies a highly competitive NBA team."
The website for Ubiquiti Networks says it's "a next-generation communications technology company" that manufactures "disruptive technology platforms for emerging markets that drive profitable business models and enable ubiquitous connectivity." Its corporate headquarters are in San Jose, California.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Grizzlies' Allen fined for flopping 5:00p
- Spurs hold off Grizzlies in OT Wed
- Grizzlies try to even series with Spurs Tue
- Seasoned Spurs bury Grizzlies in Game 1 May 19
- Spurs, Grizzlies set for Game 1 of Western Finals May 19
- NBA Playoff Preview - San Antonio vs. Memphis May 18
- Stretching the Field: Grizzlies are in uncharted woods May 17
- Grizzlies hold off Thunder for first-ever trip to West Finals May 16
- Thunder hope to keep series alive against Memphis May 15
- Grizzlies rally past Thunder in OT May 14
- Thunder hope to knot up series with Memphis May 13
- Grizzlies edge Thunder late to take 2-1 series lead May 11