Orlando Magic 2012 Draft PreviewJun 25, 2012 - 5:51 PM (Sports Network) - The Orlando Magic hired Rob Hennigan as their new general manager last week and the new basketball chief has already laid off assistant GM Dave Twardzik and six scouts.
Obviously Hennigan's first order of business is Dwight Howard and whether the big man is going to be traded to Brooklyn or another NBA outpost. The entire philosophy behind building the Magic will change if Howard is sent out of town.
A lesser story in Central Florida, however, is point guard Jameer Nelson, the former All-Star who can opt out of his deal.
Finding an heir apparent to Nelson at No. 19 could be Hennigan's first order of business in his debut draft and it would be nice if North Carolina's Kendall Marshall fell but former Kentucky quarterback Marquis Teague, the younger brother of the Hawks' Jeff Teague, might be the more likely option.
Players Under Contract: C: Dwight Howard; F: Glen Davis; F: Hedo Turkoglu; F: Jason Richardson; F: Quentin Richardson; G: JJ Redick; G: Chris Duhon
Free Agents: F: Ryan Anderson (restricted); G: Jameer Nelson (early termination option)
Recent Draft History: 2011: DeAndre Liggins (53) 2010: Daniel Orton (29), Stanley Robinson (59) 2009: No picks 2008: Courtney Lee (22) 2007: Reyshawn Terry (44)
Draft picks: 1st round (19th overall), 2nd round (49th overall)
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Heat close season with win over NBA-worst Magic Apr 18
- Heat hope to hand Magic worst record in NBA Apr 17
- Bulls cruise in Orlando Apr 16
- Bulls try to get on track in visit to Orlando Apr 15
- Celtics rout Magic, lock up No. 7 seed Apr 13
- Celtics try to snap losing streak in Orlando Apr 13
- Harris' big night helps Magic down Bucks Apr 10
- Bucks try to get on track in Magic Kingdom Apr 10
- Cavs lock down perimeter to fend off Orlando Apr 7
- Magic close out road swing against Cavs Apr 7
- Robinson carries Bulls over Magic Apr 6
- Bulls hope to improve playoff positioning with Orlando in town Apr 5