Los Angeles Lakers 2012 Draft PreviewJun 26, 2012 - 1:32 PM (Sports Network) - Unless Mitch Kupchak pulls off a blockbuster trade the Lakers possess only the 60th overall pick in the upcoming NBA Draft.
Of course Pau Gasol remains the team's primary trade chip heading into what Kupchak called "an offseason of change." The enigmatic defensive specialist Metta World Peace can also be had for the right price.
The Lakers want to get more athletic on the wings and need to come up with a long term answer at point guard. Forwards Luol Deng of the Bulls and Andre Iguodala of the Sixers as well as Houston point guard Kyle Lowry fit L.A.'s needs but the Lakers will have to get in line with a host of other teams that have lottery picks like Sacramento, Golden State and Toronto to acquire any of those assets.
Players Under Contract: G: Kobe Bryant; G: Steve Blake; G: Andrew Goudelock; F: Christian Eyenga; F: Pau Gasol; F: Josh McRoberts; F: Metta World Peace; C: Andrew Bynum
Free Agents: F: Matt Barnes; F: Devin Ebanks; F: Jordan Hill; G: Darius Morris (restricted); F: Troy Murphy; G: Ramon Sessions (unrestricted, player option)
Recent Draft History: 2011: Darius Morris (41), Andrew Goudelock (46), Ater Mojak (58) 2010: Devin Ebanks (43), Derrick Caracter (58) 2009: Toney Douglas (29), Patrick Beverley (42), Chinemelu Elonu (59) 2008: Joe Crawford (58) 2007: Javaris Crittenton (19), Sun Yue (40), Marc Gasol (48)
Draft picks: 2nd round (60th overall)
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Kobe returns for tilt with Toronto 9:44a
- Lakers slip past Kings Sat
- Kobe to make season debut Sunday Fri
- Stretching the Field: Beware the Black Mamba Fri
- No Kobe as Lakers visit Sacramento Fri
- Lakers' Farmar out four weeks Dec 2
- Blazers hold off Lakers Dec 2
- Blazers hope to start new win streak against Lakers Dec 1
- Lakers rally to beat Pistons Nov 30
- Lakers pay a visit to The Palace Nov 29
- Lakers withstand rally, beat Nets Nov 28
- Lakers continue road trip in Brooklyn Nov 27