Griffin out of Olympics with knee injuryJul 13, 2012 - 3:48 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Los Angeles Clippers forward Blake Griffin will miss the Olympics after suffering an injury to his left knee during practice for the U.S. national team Wednesday.
Griffin underwent an MRI Thursday and was diagnosed with a medial meniscus tear of his left knee and will have arthroscopic surgery. The team said Griffin will be ready for training camp this fall.
"We're relieved that this does not affect Blake's ability to be ready in time for training camp," said Clippers head coach Vinny Del Negro. "Missing out on the Olympic experience will be tough for him to take. I know how dedicated he was to doing that. We're glad we can get this fixed now and take advantage of the available time for him to fully recover."
Alternate Anthony Davis, the No. 1 draft pick by the Hornets, suited up instead of Griffin for Thursday night's 113-59 U.S. exhibition win over the Dominican Republic in Las Vegas. Davis had nine points.
Griffin originally hurt the knee in a Game 5 loss to Memphis in the first round of the playoffs. Griffin had surgery for a stress fracture on his left kneecap, causing him to miss the 2009-10 season.
The following season, he was named NBA Rookie of the Year. A two-time All- Star, Griffin averaged 20.7 points and 10.9 rebounds while not missing a regular season game this past season. He hasn't missed a contest over the first two playing years of his career.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Report: Clippers, Celtics deal for Doc 'dead' Tue
- Report: Clips, Celtics in talks regarding Rivers Sat
- Billups wins inaugural Twyman-Stokes Teammate of the Year Award Jun 9
- Grant Hill retires after 19 seasons Jun 1
- Del Negro out as Clippers coach May 21
- Grizzlies oust Clippers in six games May 4
- Grizzlies seek revenge at home against Clips May 3
- Grizzlies down Clippers, grab 3-2 series lead May 1
- Clips, Grizz all even with series back in L.A. Apr 30
- Grizzlies down Clips, knot series at 2-2 Apr 27
- Grizzlies try to even up series with Clippers Apr 27
- Grizzlies get back into series with Game 3 win Apr 26