Magic name Jacque Vaughn head coachJul 28, 2012 - 3:39 PM Orlando, FL (Sports Network) - The Orlando Magic named Jacque Vaughn as their new head coach on Saturday.
Vaughn, a former Magic player, replaces Stan Van Gundy, who was dismissed in May amid turmoil surrounding star center Dwight Howard.
"We are beyond excited to name Jacque Vaughn as our head coach," Magic general manager Rob Hennigan said. "As we navigated through our coaching search, we quickly saw that Jacque's spirit and leadership strengths made him the clear choice. We are confident that his diligence, attention to detail and communication style will help establish the bedrock of our culture moving forward. His commitment and passion to building a sustainable program will help steer our organization for years to come."
The 37-year-old Vaughn earned his first head coaching position after serving as an assistant the last two seasons with the San Antonio Spurs.
Vaughn played 12 years in the NBA after being selected in the first round (27th overall) by Utah in the 1997 NBA Draft. He spent the 2002-03 season with Orlando, averaging 5.9 points and 2.9 assists.
For his career, he averaged 4.5 points and 2.5 assists in 776 games with Utah, Atlanta, Orlando, New Jersey and San Antonio. He was a member of the Spurs team that captured an NBA title in 2007.
A standout at Kansas, Vaughn left as the school's all-time leader in assists with 804. He was named second team All-America as both a junior and a senior.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Heat close season with win over NBA-worst Magic Apr 18
- Heat hope to hand Magic worst record in NBA Apr 17
- Bulls cruise in Orlando Apr 16
- Bulls try to get on track in visit to Orlando Apr 15
- Celtics rout Magic, lock up No. 7 seed Apr 13
- Celtics try to snap losing streak in Orlando Apr 13
- Harris' big night helps Magic down Bucks Apr 10
- Bucks try to get on track in Magic Kingdom Apr 10
- Cavs lock down perimeter to fend off Orlando Apr 7
- Magic close out road swing against Cavs Apr 7
- Robinson carries Bulls over Magic Apr 6
- Bulls hope to improve playoff positioning with Orlando in town Apr 5