William & Mary beats Northeastern 47-45Mar 8, 2010 - 12:57 AM BY HANK KURZ Jr. AP Sports Writer
RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- David Schneider made a 3-pointer with 36 seconds left for his only field goal of the game and William & Mary beat Northeastern 47-45 on Sunday, sending the Tribe to the championship game of the Colonial Athletic Association tournament.
William & Mary (22-9) won despite blowing a 14-point halftime lead, and then allowing the Huskies seven shots at the tie or the victory in the final 30 seconds of the game.
Nkem Ojougboh had the last two attempts for Northeastern (20-12), both right in front of the basket, but Quinn McDowell blocked the first and the second wasn't even close.
Danny Sumner led William & Mary with eight points.
Manny Adako paced the Huskies with 14 and Matt Janning had 12.
William & Mary, one of five teams never to participate in the NCAA tournament, will face top-seeded Old Dominion on Monday night with the winner earning an automatic NCAA berth.
- WILLIAM & MARY: 47
Mar 7 7:36 PM
- WILLIAM & MARY: 31
Mar 7 6:31 PM
- James Madison wins CAA crown, ends NCAA tourney drought Mar 12
- Dukes and Huskies meet in CAA title tilt Mar 11
- Missouri crushes William & Mary Dec 18
- Tribe tangle with 10th-ranked Tigers Dec 18
- No. 10 Syracuse survives scare from William & Mary Nov 21
- Northeastern signs Coen to extension May 3
- William & Mary 72, North Carolina 80 Mar 17
- Connecticut edges Northeastern 59-57 in NIT Mar 16
- Old Dominion wins CAA tourney to clinch NCAA spot Mar 8
- William & Mary defeats James Madison 70-65 in CAA Mar 6
- Northeastern defeats Hofstra 74-71 in 2OT in CAA Mar 6