No. 5 UNC routs ElonDec 30, 2011 - 6:46 AM Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - Tyler Zeller and John Henson each recorded double-doubles as No. 5 North Carolina cruised to a 100-62 victory over Elon.
Zeller scored 19 points and grabbed 13 boards -- nine of which were offensive -- and Henson dropped 16 points and pulled down 11 rebounds. Harrison Barnes chipped in with 18 points, five rebounds, and five assists and Dexter Strickland also scored in double figures by netting 10 for the Tar Heels (12-2).
"I was happy for Harrison [Barnes], particularly, with 18 points and five assists, zero turnovers," said North Carolina head coach Roy Williams. "In the first half he had four assists and zero turnovers. I think that makes our team a lot more effective."
Sebastian Koch led the Phoenix (7-5) with 17 points and Lucas Troutman scored 11 and had 10 rebounds.
Elon managed to hang in with the far superior Tar Heels over the first 10 minutes of the game, trailing by just six at 20-14. But UNC outscored its opponent 33-5 over the latter portion of the half, sending the Heels into the locker room up 53-19. Henson posted a double-double in the first half after scoring 14 -- highlighted by a series of highlight-reel dunks -- and pulled down 11 rebounds. Barnes also reached double figures in the first half after scoring 10.
The story didn't change in the second half for the Phoenix as the Tar Heels went ahead 83-38 by the midway point. Zeller joined Henson and Barnes in double figures by this point after scoring 13 in the first seven minutes of second half.
Elon managed to outscore the Heels 24-17 over the final 10 minutes, but it was not nearly enough as UNC coasted to its sixth straight victory.
The UNC will face Monmouth Sunday before opening up its ACC conference play with Boston College on January 7.
This was the first matchup between the two schools since 1950...North Carolina holds an 18-4 edge in the all-time series, including 11 straight victories...11 players scored for Elon.
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Tue
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Tue
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Mon
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Mon
- No. 1 Kentucky cruises past UNC Sat
- North Carolina meets Kentucky in marquee matchup Sat
- No. 12 UNC routs East Carolina Dec 7
- 12th-ranked Tar Heels set sights on Pirates Dec 7
- Iowa beats No. 12 North Carolina Dec 4
- Hawkeyes and Tar Heels tangle in ACC/Big Ten Challenge Dec 3
- No. 5 North Carolina takes down Florida Nov 28
- Tar Heels and Gators meet in Black Friday tussle Nov 28