No. 5 UNC routs ElonDec 30, 2011 - 6:46 AM Chapel Hill, NC (Sports Network) - Tyler Zeller and John Henson each recorded double-doubles as No. 5 North Carolina cruised to a 100-62 victory over Elon.
Zeller scored 19 points and grabbed 13 boards -- nine of which were offensive -- and Henson dropped 16 points and pulled down 11 rebounds. Harrison Barnes chipped in with 18 points, five rebounds, and five assists and Dexter Strickland also scored in double figures by netting 10 for the Tar Heels (12-2).
"I was happy for Harrison [Barnes], particularly, with 18 points and five assists, zero turnovers," said North Carolina head coach Roy Williams. "In the first half he had four assists and zero turnovers. I think that makes our team a lot more effective."
Sebastian Koch led the Phoenix (7-5) with 17 points and Lucas Troutman scored 11 and had 10 rebounds.
Elon managed to hang in with the far superior Tar Heels over the first 10 minutes of the game, trailing by just six at 20-14. But UNC outscored its opponent 33-5 over the latter portion of the half, sending the Heels into the locker room up 53-19. Henson posted a double-double in the first half after scoring 14 -- highlighted by a series of highlight-reel dunks -- and pulled down 11 rebounds. Barnes also reached double figures in the first half after scoring 10.
The story didn't change in the second half for the Phoenix as the Tar Heels went ahead 83-38 by the midway point. Zeller joined Henson and Barnes in double figures by this point after scoring 13 in the first seven minutes of second half.
Elon managed to outscore the Heels 24-17 over the final 10 minutes, but it was not nearly enough as UNC coasted to its sixth straight victory.
The UNC will face Monmouth Sunday before opening up its ACC conference play with Boston College on January 7.
This was the first matchup between the two schools since 1950...North Carolina holds an 18-4 edge in the all-time series, including 11 straight victories...11 players scored for Elon.
- Justin Jackson withdraws from draft, will return to UNC May 16
- UNC's Meeks back for senior year after NBA draft flirtation May 4
- UNC: Jackson, Meeks declare for NBA but not hiring agent Apr 22
- Attorney: NCAA also deserves blame in UNC fraud scandal Apr 19
- UNC's Williams aims to coach Tar Heels another 5-9 years Apr 12
- UNC reserve Kenny Williams III recovering from knee surgery Apr 7
- Tar Heels begin moving forward after falling short of title Apr 5
- UNC's Berry on crutches with foot injury after Final Four Apr 5
- Williams and Tar Heels stunned by last-second loss to 'Nova Apr 5
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Paige's shot returns in time for Tar Heels' Final Four run Mar 29