Pitt tops Penn at the PalestraNov 26, 2011 - 3:14 AM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Ashton Gibbs scored 16 points, Khem Birch had 15 and No. 17 Pittsburgh won its first game at the Palestra in 25 years, 78-58 over Penn on Friday.
Nasir Robinson added 14 points and J.J. Moore scored 12 in a well-balanced attack for the Panthers (4-1), who beat their second Philadelphia Big 5 team in four days.
Friday's game, part of the Philly Hoop Group Classic, came after Pitt defeated La Salle in a close one Tuesday. The Panthers are still getting over a shocking loss to Long Beach State last week, which dropped them eight spots in the rankings.
Zack Rosen scored 22 points to lead Penn (3-3) and Tyler Bernardini had 14.
The Panthers and Quakers met for the 14th time, but first time at the Palestra since 1964. Pitt hadn't played anyone at the famed Philadelphia arena since 1986.
The Panthers started the game on a 12-4 run -- Gibbs hit a three-pointer to cap it -- but Rosen's three ended a 9-2 burst that got Penn within one.
The Quakers only trailed by six at halftime, 35-29, despite being out-shot by Pitt 55 percent to 44.
The Panthers didn't truly take control until an 11-3 run in the second half pushed their lead from four points to 12 at 46-34. John Johnson scored all four of his points at the end of the burst.
Pitt shot nearly 63 percent in the second half, pushing its final number to almost 59 percent for the game. Penn shot 36 percent in the second half.
Pitt tied the all-time series at 7-7 and improved to 7-14 at the Palestra...The Panthers, who played their first road game of the season, have won 22 of their last 30 away from home.
- Villanova pulls away from Penn in Big-5 clash Dec 5
- Red-hot Villanova hosts local rival Penn Dec 4
- Pitt signs Dixon through 2022-23 Mar 23
- Wichita State upends Pitt in West Region Mar 21
- Shockers, Panthers set for NCAA Tournament tussle Mar 20
- Southerland, Orange down Panthers in Big East Quarters Mar 14
- Quarterfinal action pits Panthers against Orange Mar 14
- Pitt's hot shooting scorches DePaul Mar 10
- No. 20 Pittsburgh closes out Big East play against DePaul Mar 9
- Panthers take down Wildcats in OT Mar 4
- Panthers dominate Bulls in second half Feb 27
- Panthers set to pounce on Bulls in Big East affair Feb 27