Kansas dominates Texas TechJan 12, 2012 - 6:27 AM
The Jayhawks trailed with 7 1/2 minutes left in the first half, then went on a 27-5 run that bled into the second half and put the game away.
Tyshawn Taylor added 15 points for Kansas (13-3, 3-0 Big 12) and Travis Releford scored 12. The Jayhawks have won six games in a row since being upset by Davidson in shocker on December 19.
"I thought we did some good things defensively," Kansas head coach Bill Self said. "Now, they shot it miserably and you can't take credit for defense when they miss open looks. I thought for the most part we did a good job. and we really rebounded pretty good the second half."
Javarez Willis had 12 points to lead the Red Raiders (7-8, 0-3) and was the only Texas Tech scorer in double digits.
Kansas out-shot the Red Raiders 50.9 percent to 31.4, but needed to snap out of a funk to take control after DeShon Minnis' free throws gave Texas Tech a 16-15 lead.
The Jayhawks scored 20 of the final 24 points in the last 7:24 of the first half to take a 35-20 lead into the break.
They opened the second half on a 7-1 burst with Taylor and Robinson making layups at the end. Robinson's three-point play made it 42-21, ending the long 27-5 run after about 10 minutes of game time.
Kansas' lead reached as high as 40 on a Naadir Tharpe three-pointer to make it 76-36 with 3:50 remaining.
"Just a real good whipping and I don't like it but it doesn't look like our players don't like it as much as I don't like it and give all the credit to Kansas they have a nice team and were able to do whatever they wanted on both ends of the court and we didn't give them any opposition at all," Texas Tech head coach Billy Gillispie said.
Kansas is 21-4 in the all-time series and has won four straight and five of the last six meetings between the schools...The Jayhawks are 3-0 in Big 12 play for the sixth straight season and 15th time in 16 years.
- Tarik Black going from Memphis to Kansas Mon
- Highly-touted recruit Wiggins settles on Kansas May 14
- KU's McLemore declares for NBA Draft Apr 9
- Tubby Smith lands in Lubbock Apr 2
- Wolverines punch ticket to Elite Eight with OT win over Kansas Mar 30
- Sweet 16 matchup pits Jayhawks against Wolverines Mar 28
- Strong 2nd half pushes Kansas past UNC Mar 24
- Tar Heels, Jayhawks meet in clash of college hoops royalty Mar 23
- Withey, Kansas slip past Western Kentucky in NCAA second round Mar 23
- Second-round action on tap as top-seeded Jayhawks meet Hilltoppers Mar 21
- Kansas wins 9th Big 12 Tournament title in rout of K-State Mar 16
- Big 12 title game pits Wildcats against Jayhawks Mar 16