Samford pulls away to beat Chattanooga 60-54Feb 20, 2010 - 10:41 PM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Trey Montgomery scored 19 points and Jeffrey Merritt hit five 3-pointers to lead Samford to a 60-54 victory over Chattanooga on Saturday.
Merritt finished with 18 points and nine rebounds for the Bulldogs (11-16, 5-10 Southern Conference), who outscored Chattanooga 11-3 in the final 3:09 for their second win in three games.
The Mocs (13-15, 5-10) led 51-49 when Merritt hit a 3-pointer for a one-point lead with 3:09 remaining. Montgomery followed with another 3, and his free throw with 55 seconds left gave Samford a 56-51 advantage.
Ricky Taylor's 3 cut the lead to 56-54, but Montgomery and Matthew Friday hit consecutive layups to seal the win.
Samford hit 11 3-pointers and Chattanooga shot 25 percent from the free throw line (2-for-8).
Josh Davis added 16 points for the Bulldogs.
Taylor had 11 points and Sam Watson had 11 rebounds for the Mocs.
- Adams leads UCLA past Chattanooga Nov 25
- Mocs seek upset of 22nd-ranked Bruins Nov 24
- Chattanooga selects Wade as new men's hoops coach May 13
- Chattanooga tabs Foster as next women's basketball coach May 9
- Chattanooga fires Shulman Mar 21
- Thomas, Memphis fend off Samford Nov 18
- Samford takes on No. 17 Memphis Nov 17
- Jayhawks use second-half surge to down Mocs Nov 16
- No. 2 Louisville feasts on Samford Nov 15
- No. 2 Cardinals set sights on Bulldogs Nov 15
- Mocs face tall task in clash with seventh-ranked Jayhawks Nov 15
- No. 3 Kentucky handles Samford Dec 20