Fairfield defeats Iona 71-54 to take 2nd in MAACFeb 27, 2010 - 3:40 AM BRIDGEPORT, Conn.(AP) -- Anthony Johnson scored a career-high 28 points and grabbed 12 rebounds as Fairfield defeated Iona 71-54 Friday night to determine sole possession of second place in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.
Johnson was 11-for-14 from the field and 6-for-8 from the free throw line for the Stags (19-9, 12-5), who won their 11th home game, the most since the 1977-78 season when they went 17-1.
Fairfield closed out the final 4:13 of the first half on a 10-0 run to lead 34-18 at the break, and the Gaels could get no closer than eight after that.
The Stags scored 22 points off 15 Gaels turnovers while Iona (20-9, 11-6) scored four points off 11 Fairfield miscues.
Derek Needham added 15 points for the Stags, who outshot the Gaels from the field 48.1 percent (26-for-54) to 35.2 percent (19-for-54).
Kyle Smith was the only Iona player in double figures with 12 points.
- Thomas, Ohio State roll over Iona Mar 22
- Buckeyes begin tournament play against Gaels Mar 21
- Iona beats Manhattan in MAAC title game Mar 12
- MAAC Tournament title game pits Manhattan against Iona Mar 11
- BYU completes comeback, knocks off Iona Mar 14
- Gaels and Cougars collide in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 13
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5
- Iona gives Cluess contract extension Jan 30
- Connecticut shakes off Fairfield Dec 22
- No.8 Huskies host Stags in Hartford Dec 22
- Saint Peter's marches on, tops Iona for MAAC title Mar 7