Hofstra defeats Georgia State 87-74Feb 27, 2010 - 11:40 PM HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.(AP) -- Charles Jenkins scored 29 points and Hofstra defeated Georgia State 87-74 on Saturday in the regular-season finale for both teams.
Jenkins - who also had seven rebounds and four assists - is one of five players in the country to average 20 points, four rebounds and three assists this season.
Cornelius Vines added 18 points, Halil Kanacevic had 16 and Chaz Williams contributed 10 assists for the Pride (18-13, 10-8 Colonial Athletic Association), who have won six straight.
Hofstra enters the conference tournament March 5 as the No. 7 seed.
Jenkins' 3-pointer gave the Pride the lead for good, 23-22, with 8:14 to play in the first half. Hofstra kept a double-digit lead for the final 11:35 and grabbed its biggest lead at 82-65 on a free throw by Trey Hampton with 2:56 to play.
Joe Dukes scored 22 points for the Panthers (12-19, 5-13) and Xavier Hansbro added 11.
- GEORGIA STATE: 74
Feb 27 6:15 PM
- GEORGIA STATE: 36
Feb 27 5:04 PM
- Hofstra hires Mihalich Apr 10
- Hofstra fires Cassara Mar 22
- Duke begins season with win over Georgia State Nov 9
- Georgia State faces tall task as it opens at No. 8 Duke Nov 9
- North Carolina routs Hofstra Nov 18
- Hofstra promotes Welsh's assistant to head job May 5
- Welsh's NY DWI case adjourned until June May 4
- Welsh resigns as Hofstra hoops coach after arrest May 3
- Hofstra coach Welch suspended after DWI report Apr 30
- Tim Welsh hired to coach Hofstra Mar 31
- Northeastern defeats Hofstra 74-71 in 2OT in CAA Mar 6
- Hofstra beats Georgia State 68-67 in CAA tourney Mar 5