American U advances to semis; beats Navy 62-60Mar 4, 2010 - 2:53 AM WASHINGTON(AP) -- Stephen Lumpkins scored a career-high 29 points and American University held on to defeat Navy 62-60 on Wednesday in the quarterfinals of the Patriot League tournament.
Nick Hendra added 12 points for fourth-seeded American (11-19), which will travel to top-seeded Lehigh for Sunday's semifinal.
Lumpkins also tied a career-high with 15 rebounds for his third straight double-double, helping the Eagles improve to 9-0 in the conference's quarterfinal round.
Chris Harris scored 20 points for fifth-seeded Navy (13-17), which ended its season with four straight losses. Jordan Sugars added 13 points for the Midshipmen, who trailed 59-51 with 1:11 left but closed it to 61-60 on Romeo Garcia's 3-pointer with 7 seconds left.
American hit just three of its last nine free throws. But after Daniel Munoz's free-throw miss, Garcia's half-court runner at the buzzer fell well short.
- NAVY: 60
Mar 3 9:33 PM
- NAVY: 21
Mar 3 8:22 PM
- Williams leads Ohio State over American Nov 21
- Eagles hoping to soar past eighth-ranked Buckeyes Nov 20
- College Basketball Preview - American Athletic Conference Nov 5
- College Basketball Preview - American Athletic Conference Nov 4
- American names Brennan men's hoops coach Apr 30
- No. 6 Kansas routs American Dec 29
- No. 6 Jayhawks put win streaks on the line against Eagles Dec 29
- Hoyas thump American for seventh straight win Dec 22
- Eagles and Hoyas mix it up with local bragging rights on the line Dec 22
- No. 16 Georgetown uses strong second half to down American Dec 17
- Battle of D.C. pits Eagles against 16th-ranked Hoyas Dec 17
- No. 10 Missouri cruises past Navy Dec 10