Canisius tops Marist 72-54Mar 6, 2010 - 5:25 AM ALBANY, N.Y.(AP) -- Elton Frazier scored 17 points as seventh-seeded Canisius beat 10th-seeded Marist 72-54 in the opening round of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament on Friday night.
Greg Logins and Alshwan Hymes added 11 apiece for the Golden Griffins (15-16), who advanced to face second-seeded Fairfield in Saturday's quarterfinals.
Devin Price scored 17 points for the Red Foxes (1-29) as the worst season in school history drew to a close. Korey Bauer added 12 points.
The Golden Griffins hit 10 3-pointers, including one from Frank Turner that gave Canisius breathing room after Marist cut the lead to 44-37 early in the second half.
Canisius broke a 16-all tie midway through the first half with a 12-0 run, taking a 34-26 lead into the break on Tomas Vazquez-Simmons' 3-pointer at the buzzer.
- Marist names Bower men's basketball coach Apr 11
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15
- Canisius hires Jim Baron Apr 2
- Former Canisius basketball coach Curran dies Jan 30
- No. 2 Kentucky hosts Marist is 2011-12 lidlifter Nov 11
- Wayns leads Villanova in rout of Marist Nov 16
- Syracuse continues domination of Canisius with easy win Nov 15
- Siena defeats Marist 76-51 Feb 28