Philadelphia native Newbill headed to Penn StateAug 23, 2011 - 12:08 AM State College, PA (Sports Network) - Philadelphia native D.J. Newbill has completed transfer paperwork to return to his home state and attend Penn State University. The 6-foot-4, 205 pound guard and 2010 Pennsylvania Class AA Player of the Year was a starter as a freshman at the University of Southern Mississippi.
Newbill will join Penn State coach Patrick Chambers' Nittany Lion basketball program with three years remaining of NCAA eligibility, but will sit out the upcoming season due to NCAA Division I transfer rules.
"D.J. will make an immediate impact on our program with his toughness, basketball IQ and work ethic," Chambers said. "It's great to get a Philadelphia kid that is passionate about Penn State basketball and wants to be here. We are very confident he will show that a Philadelphia player can have great success and an outstanding career at Penn State."
In his one season at Southern Miss, Newbill posted 9.2 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, placing third on the team. He played in all 32 games for the Golden Eagles and earned Conference-USA All-Freshman team honors.
His high school highlights include leading the Strawberry Mansion High School basketball team to the 2010 PIAA state championship game, which was played at Penn State's Bryce Jordan Center. He recorded a 64-point performance during his senior season and averaged 19 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three steals as a junior.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Penn State's Marshall to forgo senior season Wed
- Penn State's Frazier granted NCAA Medical Hardship Waiver Apr 25
- Memphis outlasts Southern Miss for 3rd straight C-USA crown Mar 16
- C-USA crown on line in clash between Southern Miss and Memphis Mar 16
- Michigan gets by Penn State in Big Ten tourney Mar 14
- Wolverines, Nittany Lions meet in Big Ten tourney Mar 14
- Jackson's 3 lifts No. 22 Wisconsin over PSU Mar 10
- Badgers and Nittany Lions clash in Big Ten affair Mar 10
- No Lie-on: Penn State stuns No. 4 Michigan Feb 28
- Penn State faces uphill climb in clash with No. 4 Michigan Feb 27
- No. 21 Memphis rolls past Southern Miss Feb 23
- Tigers put C-USA perfection on the line against Golden Eagles Feb 23