No. 25 Illinois edges CornellDec 20, 2011 - 4:10 AM Illinois over the upset-minded Cornell Big Red, 64-60.
Richardson and Paul chipped in 17 and 15 points, respectively, for Illinois (11-1), which trailed by 10 in the first half and was in danger of losing at Assembly Hall for the first time this season.
But Paul made consecutive jumpers to give the Illini a 60-58 lead with 1:07 to play, and Richardson drained a pull-up 17-footer with a hand in his face the next time down.
Drew Ferry then missed from long range for the second straight possession for the Big Red (4-5), who were coming off consecutive overtime wins but couldn't pull off another close decision.
Josh Figini had 14 points to lead Cornell.
A back-and-forth first half saw Illinois erase a 10-point deficit and pull even at the break at 32-all.
Ferry made a pair of three-pointers early in the second half to give the Big Red the lead, which they held until Richardson hit a three-pointer to tie things, 42-42, near the midway point.
It was a seesaw battle from there.
Illinois was coming off its first loss, falling to UNLV, 64-48, in Chicago on Saturday...Illinois' bench did not score on 10 attempts from the field and two tries from the foul line...Cornell fell to 0-4 on the road.
- CORNELL: 60
Dec 19 9:50 PM
- CORNELL: 32
Dec 19 8:45 PM
- CORNELL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 19 8:07 PM
- Illinois' Groce receives extension Apr 13
- Miami holds off Illinois for Sweet 16 berth Mar 25
- Hurricanes, Illini collide in third-round affair Mar 23
- Illinois survives comeback bid from Colorado Mar 23
- Second-round action pits Illini against Buffaloes Mar 21
- Zeller leads IU past Illinois in Big Ten quarters Mar 15
- Illinois tangles with Indiana in Big Ten quarterfinals Mar 15
- No. 14 Ohio State downs Illinois Mar 10
- Still in the title hunt, Buckeyes close out against Illini Mar 10
- Harvard wins Ivy League Mar 9
- Burke scores 19 in second half to lift No. 7 Michigan over Illinois Feb 24
- No. 7 Michigan meets Illinois in Big Ten brawl Feb 24