UNLV staves off HawaiiJan 1, 2012 - 4:33 AM Honolulu, HI (Sports Network) - Anthony Marshall scored a game-high 19 points and to go along with 13 rebounds as 19th-ranked UNLV held off Hawaii to take a 74-69 victory at Stan Sheriff Center.
Mike Moser also recorded a double-double with 15 points and 12 boards, while Chace Stanback tallied 13 points for the Runnin' Rebels (15-2), who won their sixth straight game.
Joston Thomas paced the Rainbow Warriors (8-6) with 16 points and 15 rebounds. Vander Joaquim added 15 points and Zane Johnson contributed 12 as Hawaii had its three-game win streak snapped.
After Hawaii took a 5-1 lead early in the first half on Thomas' jumper, UNLV reeled off eight straight points to take a lead they would not lose for the remainder of the game.
Stanback had five points in the run.
The Rebels shortly stretched their lead to double digits at 20-10 by scoring 11 of the next 16 points and held a 35-28 advantage at the break while holding Hawaii to just 25 percent shooting (8-for-32) in the half.
Oscar Bellfield's field goal put UNLV up 39-30 a minute into the second half, but then the Rainbow Warriors put together an 11-4 run over the next five minutes to get within two, 43-41.
Justin Hawkins put an end to the streak, though, with a shot from beyond the arc and the Rebels had an answer for every Warriors bucket for the remainder of the game while shooting 51.6 percent from the floor to hang on for the win.
Hawaii put together another run with six straight points by Thomas to get within 58-56 with 7:50 to go in the second, but UNLV scored eight of the next 10 points and the game was never in question again.
Stanback made 1-of-2 three-pointers and is 21-for-29 from three-point range over his last four games...UNLV leads the all-time series between the teams with a 22-9 mark...UNLV outscored Hawaii in the paint, 34-28.
- UNLV: 74
Dec 31 10:19 PM
- UNLV: 35
Dec 31 9:03 PM
- UNLV: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 8:07 PM
- No. 13 Kansas pulls away to beat UNLV Jan 4
- No. 13 Kansas takes on UNLV Jan 4
- UNLV stuns No. 3 Arizona Dec 24
- WSU outlasts Hawaii in OT to reach Diamond Head Classic finals Dec 23
- Shockers and Rainbow Warriors meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- UNLV seeks upset of No. 3 Arizona Dec 23
- Wright leads No. 14 Utah over UNLV Dec 21
- No. 14 Utah battles UNLV in MGM Grand Showcase Dec 20
- Hawaii names Benjy Taylor men's basketball coach Oct 31
- Hawaii fires men's hoops coach Arnold Oct 28
- UNLV's Smith declares for draft Apr 4
- UNLV nears two-year extension for Rice Mar 29