Gophers extend Tubby SmithJul 23, 2012 - 11:36 PM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Tubby Smith has agreed to a contract extension to continue coaching at the University of Minnesota through the 2016-17 season.
Financial terms of the contract were not released.
"I am pleased to announce that Coach Smith and Gopher Athletics have agreed on a contract extension," director of athletics Norwood Teague said. "Tubby took over our program at a difficult time and quickly got it headed back in the right direction, both athletically and academically. Since then, Gopher basketball has continued to make strides under his leadership with four postseason appearances, including last year's exciting run to the NIT title game. I look forward to working with Coach Smith into the future to help lift Gopher basketball to even greater heights."
Last season, the Gopher reached the NIT Championship game after winning 23 games.
"We are excited about the extension and know that the University of Minnesota is the right place for us," said Smith. "I believe that we can get the job done here. The commitment from the university is there to continue to grow the program and I am looking forward to being a part of that. I appreciate the faith that Norwood Teague and President Kaler have in our staff and what we are trying to accomplish here. I am focused on reaching our full potential as a program. That is why we came here five years ago and it is still our goal."
In five seasons at Minnesota, Smith has compiled a record of 103-68 and led the Gophers to two NCAA Tournament berths and two NIT appearances. His winning percentage is the fourth-best in school history.
Prior to coaching at Minnesota, Smith was the head coach at Tulsa, Georgia and Kentucky, where he won the SEC Tournament five times and the NCAA Championship in 1998. His overall record is 490-213 across 21 seasons.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Smith transfers to Minnesota Mon
- Minnesota hires Richard Pitino Apr 4
- Report: Minnesota fires Tubby Smith Mar 25
- Gators head to Sweet 16 with win over Minnesota Mar 25
- Gophers battle Gators with trip to Sweet 16 on the line Mar 23
- Hollins, Minnesota cruise past UCLA Mar 23
- Bruins close out second round against Golden Gophers Mar 21
- Who's your No. 1 now? Top-ranked Indiana falls at Minnesota Feb 27
- Top-ranked Indiana continues road trip against Minnesota Feb 26
- Thomas, Buckeyes thump struggling Minnesota Feb 20
- Minnesota visits Ohio State in pivotal Big Ten bout Feb 20
- Minnesota edges No. 20 Wisconsin in OT Feb 14