Detroit shocks unbeaten Green BayFeb 10, 2012 - 4:51 AM Green Bay, WI (Sports Network) - Green Bay hadn't lost since a setback last February to Detroit.
On Thursday night, history repeated itself.
Shareta Brown scored 24 points and Senee Shearer added 23, as the Detroit Titans ended No. 9 Green Bay's 40-game regular season winning streak with a 70-58 victory.
The Titans (13-11, 9-3 Horizon) dominated the backboards, outrebounding Green Bay, 47-32 in the victory.
The Phoenix (20-1, 10-1) had won 36 straight in the conference and 40 in a row overall since the setback on February 4, 2010. Julie Wojta scored 16 points with nine rebounds and Hannah Quilling added 13 points and five assists in the loss.
Detroit rattled off 17 straight points at one stage in the first half to claim a 22-8 lead. The Phoenix missed 12 straight shots during the stretch, and six players scored for the Titans with Brown and Jones scoring four points apiece.
Green Bay ended the first half with a 10-4 scoring stretch to pull within 29-24, a small deficit considering a season-worst 22.6 percent shooting percentage.
Detroit quickly took a double-digit lead at 37-26 on Brown's layup, but Green Bay scored the next eight capped by Adrian Ritchie's layup. Ritchie joined Megan Lukan in double figures with 11 points apiece.
Lukan's trey squared the contest at 47-47, and the Phoenix went ahead on Ritchie's three moments later. Green Bay only scored eight points over the final eight-plus minutes.
Detroit took the lead for good on Brown's two free throws with 5:46 to play. Green Bay cut it to one point once more, but the margin quickly grew to seven at 60-53, and the Titans made the margin hold up.
- DETROIT MERCY: 70
WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 58
Feb 9 10:10 PM
- DETROIT MERCY: 29
WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 24
Feb 9 8:53 PM
- DETROIT MERCY: 0
WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 9 8:08 PM
- Lady Tigers escape first-round scare Mar 24
- Detroit gives Rademacher three-year extension May 21
- Borseth returning to coach Green Bay women Apr 4
- Kentucky fends off furious Green Bay rally to move on Mar 20
- Hot first half leads Phoenix past Cyclones Mar 17
- Green Bay downs Detroit to capture Horizon League title Mar 11
- No. 10 Green Bay downs UIC, advances to Horizon title game Mar 10
- Wojta powers Green Bay past Wright State Feb 11
- Green Bay dominates Milwaukee, remains undefeated Feb 4
- Griner and Lady Bears top Green Bay in round of 16 Mar 27
- Green Bay extends win streak, advances to Sweet 16 Mar 23