Connecticut stifles Kansas State on way to Sweet 16Mar 20, 2012 - 1:44 AM Bridgeport, CT (Sports Network) - Bria Hartley scored a game-high 16 points as the top-seeded Connecticut Huskies completely dominated the eighth-seeded Kansas State Wildcats to earn a 72-26 victory in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at Webster Bank Arena.
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis chipped in 15 points for UConn (31-4), while Kiah Stokes scored 13 points and grabbed nine rebounds. Tiffany Hayes added 11 points and also pulled down nine rebounds for the Huskies, who advanced to the Sweet 16 for 19th straight season.
Brittany Chambers paced Kansas State (20-14) with 11 points. The Wildcats' scoring output of 26 points set a new NCAA Tournament low.
UConn took a 38-10 lead into the intermission after it held the Wildcats to just three points in the opening 11 minutes and 53 seconds.
Kansas State shot just 23.1 percent from the field after the break, while the Huskies extended their lead with 48.1 percent shooting from the floor in the final 20 minutes.
The Wildcats made only 17.5 percent of their field goal attempts in the contest.
The Huskies will face the winner of Tuesday's second round match up between LSU and Penn State.
- KANSAS STATE: 26
Mar 19 8:52 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 10
Mar 19 7:55 PM
- KANSAS STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 7:07 PM
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Fourth Time's The Charm: UConn downs Notre Dame to reach title game Apr 8
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Auriemma inks five-year extension with UConn Mar 27
- UConn cruises against Commodores in Storrs Mar 25
- Top-seed UConn moves on with rout of Idaho Mar 23
- Notre Dame edges UConn for first Big East Tournament title Mar 12
- No. 3 UConn beats Syracuse for spot in Big East final Mar 11
- Stewart leads No. 3 UConn past DePaul in Big East quarters Mar 10
- Griner, Baylor cruise past Kansas State Mar 9