Griner gets first triple-double in Baylor historyDec 17, 2009 - 4:23 AM WACO, Texas(AP) -- Brittney Griner had a record-setting night all around.
The Baylor star had the first triple-double in school history and set a Big 12 record with 11 blocks in the sixth-ranked Bears' 101-76 win over Oral Roberts Wednesday night.
Griner finished with 34 points and 13 rebounds, breaking the conference record of 10. Melissa Jones came close to a triple-double of her own, with 15 points, nine rebounds and nine steals.
"Those kids are big-time players," Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said of Jones and Griner. "There are so many adjectives to describe these two, but I can tell you this, I'm a blessed coach. They brought their lunch pail. (Jones) brings it every day and (Griner) is learning to bring it every day."
Morghan Medlock scored 16 for Baylor and Ashley Field had 15 points.
Baylor (9-1) held the highest-scoring team in the nation well below its average of 91.6 points. Oral Roberts (7-3) shot 38.6 percent and had 27 turnovers, many in the lane as shooters altered their shots to avoid Griner.
Kevi Luper scored 32 for Oral Roberts. She came into the game as the leading scorer in the country with 27.1 points a game.
Griner played 36 minutes and had only one brief rest before sitting for good with Baylor up 93-72 with 2:43 remaining.
Griner made 12 of her 20 shots from the field, but missed three dunk attempts.
"I told her to go up with two hands," Mulkey said. "Go up there with two hands and dont get lazy. She got lazy on those dunks."
The Golden Eagles scored 28 points in the first half, their lowest this season.
The game came one day after the death of the death of the school's founder and namesake, one of the first preachers to embrace television in the 1950s.
"It's going to be a huge week at school with what that man means to our university and what he's done for our kids," Oral Roberts coach Jerry Finkbeiner said. "He loves basketball. That was his passion, besides evangelism."
- No. 4 Baylor women beat TCU 81-75 for 11th Big 12 win in row Wed
- No. 4 Baylor women win 10th straight, 81-49 over Kansas Feb 6
- Jones perfect for No. 4 Baylor in 87-52 win over K-State Feb 3
- Jones, Mompremier lead No. 4 Baylor women over No. 24 WVU Jan 30
- No. 4 Baylor tops Texas Tech 69-43 for another 20-win season Jan 27
- No. 4 Baylor cruises past Iowa State 77-61 Jan 23
- Jones and No. 6 Baylor hand No. 4 Texas first loss 80-67 Jan 17
- Jones helps No. 6 Baylor beat West Virginia 69-64 Jan 12
- Freshmen Monpremier, Brown lead Baylor over TCU Jan 9
- Davis helps No. 6 Baylor women rout Kansas 58-40 Jan 6
- No. 4 Baylor women rebound, win 78-68 over No. 18 Oklahoma Jan 3
- Martin leads Oklahoma State to 52-45 upset of No. 4 Baylor Dec 30