NC State cruises into second round of NCAAsMar 18, 2007 - 8:48 PM RALEIGH, North Carolina (Ticker) -- Marquetta Dickens and North Carolina State got their NCAA Tournament off to a fast start.
Dickens scored 25 points and the fourth-seeded Wolfpack pulled away early in an 84-52 victory over 13th-seeded Robert Morris in a first-round matchup in the Fresno Region.
NC State (24-9) had not played since losing to North Carolina in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament final March 4. The Wolfpack showed no ill effects from the layoff, going on a 16-4 run to open the game.
Dickens scored the first four points and had six in the spurt, which Sasha Reaves capped with a pair of free throws with 14:09 left in the first half.
Robert Morris (24-8) never led and trailed, 44-21, at the half after shooting 26 percent (8-of-31) from the field.
Ashley Key scored 11 points and Shayla Fields added 10 for the Wolfpack, who pushed the lead to 66-27 on a layup by Keisha Brown with 11:34 to play.
On its home court, North Carolina State was more than comfortable, shooting 58 percent (37-of-64) and turning 23 turnovers by Robert Morris into 27 points.
Sugeiry Monsac had 20 points and 18 rebounds and Chinata Nesbit had 20 points for the Colonials.
The Wolfpack advance to play the winner of the game between fifth-seeded Baylor and No. 12 Chattanooga on Tuesday.
- ROBERT MORRIS: 52
NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 84
Mar 18 2:05 PM
- ROBERT MORRIS: 21
NORTH CAROLINA STATE: 44
Mar 18 1:00 PM
- NC State hires Moore as coach Apr 5
- NC State dismisses Harper after 4 seasons Mar 26
- No. 6 Duke prevails in ACC quarters Mar 8
- No. 10 Maryland rolls past NC State Jan 17
- Duke holds off NC State, stays unbeaten Jan 3
- NC State takes down No. 5 Duke in ACC Tournament Mar 2
- Thomas leads Terps over NC State Feb 26
- No. 6 Miami-Florida downs NC State Feb 16
- No. 7 Duke routs NC State Jan 8
- Miami edges NC State in ACC quarters Mar 4
- Duke earns comeback win over NC State, stays unbeaten Jan 23
- Dixon leads UCLA past NC State 74-54 in 1st round Mar 22