Griner and Lady Bears top Green Bay in round of 16Mar 28, 2011 - 1:32 AM Dallas, TX (Sports Network) - Brittney Griner scored a career-high 40 points as she and the Baylor Lady Bears dismissed the Green Bay Phoenix, 86-76, in the regional semifinals of the NCAA Tournament at American Airlines Center.
Griner, who also set a new Baylor NCAA Tournament scoring record for the top- seeded Bears (34-2), added 10 rebounds and six blocked shots in the victory. Odyssey Sims contributed 18 points, converting 4-of-7 shots behind the three- point line in order to offset eight turnovers.
The fifth-seeded Phoenix (34-2) were led by Kayla Tetschlag who delivered with 27 points and 10 rebounds, but she also turned the ball over seven times and had to avoid picking up her fifth personal foul in the second half. Celeste Hoewisch accounted for 20 points and six assists as the team saw its 25-game win streak come to an end.
Green Bay's first-ever appearance in the Sweet 16 didn't start out that well as the team trailed by a score of 14-2 out of the gate in the first-ever meeting between the two programs. Griner picked up two quick fouls late in the period and was sent to the bench with about six minutes to play and it was only then that the Phoenix were able to assert themselves in the paint.
With Griner on the sidelines Green Bay was able to close the gap to just four points at 36-32, but Baylor responded and built the lead back to 43-34 when Odyssey Sims knocked down a three-pointer at the buzzer. Griner was responsible for 13 points in the first half.
In the second half Griner returned to the floor and Green Bay again had to resort to attacking from the outside which proved to be difficult. At one point the Lady Bears put together a 14-0 run and that essentially propelled Baylor to the eventual double-digit win.
Baylor suffered through 18 turnovers but overcame those miscues by shooting 58.9 percent from the floor and 5-of-10 behind the three-point line on the night.
The only other loss this season for the Phoenix came against Marquette by a score of 63-60 on the road back on December 12.
The Bears will now challenge the Texas A&M Aggies in the regional finals on Tuesday night for the right to advance to the Final Four at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. It will be the fourth meeting of the season between the two Big 12 Conference schools, with Baylor having won the previous three encounters.
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 76
Mar 27 9:07 PM
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 34
Mar 27 7:56 PM
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 27 7:10 PM
- Baylor's Griner captures women's Naismith Award Apr 8
- Louisville stuns Baylor, ends Griner's college career Mar 31
- Griner dunks three times, Lady Bears cruise to Sweet 16 Mar 27
- Griner leads Baylor to blowout victory Mar 24
- Lady Tigers escape first-round scare Mar 24
- Griner, Baylor down Iowa State for third straight Big 12 title Mar 11
- No. 1 Baylor heads to third straight Big 12 final Mar 10
- Griner, Baylor cruise past Kansas State Mar 9
- Griner sets Big 12 record as Baylor downs Kansas State Mar 4
- No. 1 Baylor dominates West Virginia Mar 2
- Baylor pounds Oklahoma for 25th straight win Feb 25
- Griner powers No. 1 Baylor past Texas Feb 23