Maryland cruises over North CarolinaFeb 25, 2012 - 3:59 AM Maryland to an easy 84-64 victory over North Carolina at Comcast Center on Friday.
Alicia DeVaughn and Laurin Mincy each came off the bench to score 14 and 13, repectively for Maryland (24-4, 11-4 ACC), which has won two straight and five of its last six.
Chay Shegog led all scorers with 24 points while She'la White chipped in 10 for the Tar Heels (19-9, 9-6), who came in winners of two straight.
Kim Rodgers buried a three-pointer to cap an 11-1 Maryland start as the Terps took advantage of an ugly start for the Tar Heels, who failed to score a field goal for the first five-plus minutes of the half.
The lead would reach as high as 29 after Laurin Mincy nailed a triple to make it a 53-24 game with under a minute still to play in the first half.
The Tar Heels would get the last five points of the half to sneak into the locker room facing an uphill battle, trailing 53-29 at halftime.
The margin ballooned to 33 at its highest point when Thomas finished a layup to make it 75-42 with 9:24 still to play.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 64
Feb 24 10:27 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 29
Feb 24 9:23 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 24 8:35 PM
- Maryland signs Frese to extension Nov 15
- No. 1 UConn dominates second half in win over Maryland Nov 15
- UNC coach Hatchell diagnosed with leukemia Oct 14
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Delle Donne shines as Blue Hens head for uncharted territory Mar 26
- Terps tackle Michigan State in second round Mar 25
- North Carolina survives scare from Albany Mar 24
- Fourth-seed Maryland rolls over 13th-seed Quinnipiac Mar 23
- Duke routs UNC in ACC title game Mar 10
- No. 15 UNC storms back to down No. 10 Maryland in ACC semis Mar 9
- Thomas shines as Maryland advances past Wake Forest in OT Mar 8
- No. 5 Duke overcomes 15th-ranked UNC Mar 3