Fitz, Marist blitz DePaul, advance to second roundMar 23, 2008 - 5:31 AM BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Ticker) -- Using a dominant second half, Marist carried its regular-season success into the NCAA Tournament for the second straight season.
Rachele Fitz scored 23 points as the seventh-seeded Red Foxes won their 22nd consecutive game with a 76-57 first-round victory over 10th-seeded DePaul in the New Orleans Region on Saturday.
Julianne Viani added 18 points for Marist (32-2), which will face second-seeded Louisiana State in the second round on Monday night. The Red Foxes hope to avoid their first loss since December 12.
Trailing by six points at halftime, Marist poured it on the second half, outscoring DePaul, 45-20, to advance in the tournament for the second straight season. It finished the contest on an eye-popping 32-2 run.
The Red Foxes had won their first-ever NCAA Tournament games last season, advancing to the regional semifinals before falling to eventual champion Tennessee.
Allie Quigley scored 15 points for the Blue Demons (20-12), who shot just 28 percent (9-of-32) after halftime.
- A pair of double-doubles powers Cowgirls past DePaul Mar 24
- Spartans deny upset-minded Red Foxes Mar 23
- Stewart leads No. 3 UConn past DePaul in Big East quarters Mar 10
- Diggins' triple-double fuels Notre Dame in rout of DePaul Feb 24
- Smith guides Louisville over DePaul Feb 17
- UConn rips DePaul in snowy Storrs Feb 10
- No. 7 Kentucky thumps Marist Dec 30
- Kentucky rolls over DePaul Dec 7
- Bonnies bounce Red Foxes in second round Mar 20
- Lady Vols take care of DePaul to advance to Sweet 16 Mar 20
- Georgia bows to Red Foxes in first round Mar 18
- Strong second half leads DePaul over BYU Mar 17