Pittsburgh continues unbeaten start behind stellar guard playDec 6, 2006 - 6:58 AM PITTSBURGH (Ticker) -- The backcourt of Xenia Stewart and Shavonte Zellous continued Pittsburgh's unbeaten start.
Stewart and Zellous scored 21 points apiece as the No. 24 Panthers posted a 79-69 victory over Robert Morris.
Stewart, who tied a career high in points, shot 9-of-16 from the field, grabbed six rebounds and handed out five assists as the Big East squad improved to 9-0.
In part to the strong start, Pittsburgh earned its first ranking in the USA Today/ESPN coaches poll earlier Tuesday.
Zellous went 8-of-14 and backcourt mate Jania Sims added 13 points and seven boards for the Panthers, who held a 25-9 advantage in second-chance points despite a 42-41 deficit in rebounding.
Chinata Nesbit scored 20 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for the Colonials (3-3), who shot 40 percent (23-of-58).
- NCAA WOMENS BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ROBERT MORRIS 29 40 69
PITTSBURGH (24) 45 34 79 FINAL
Dec 5 9:02 PM
- NCAA WOMENS BB
ROBERT MORRIS 29
PITTSBURGH (24) 45 HALFTIME
Dec 5 7:50 PM
- No. 16 Florida State women beat Pitt 66-55 Jan 17
- No. 3 Notre Dame beats Pitt for McGraw's 800th win Jan 3
- Jones helps No. 6 Maryland rout Pittsburgh 70-49 Nov 28
- Lady Vols punch ticket to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Pittsburgh stifles Chattanooga to advance Mar 21
- Irish stay perfect, rout Colonials Mar 22
- No. 10 Maryland blows out Pittsburgh Feb 6
- Liston, Duke handle Pittsburgh Jan 26
- No. 2 Notre Dame crushes Pittsburgh Jan 16
- Pittsburgh names McConnell-Serio women's hoops coach Apr 12
- No. 3 Huskies blow out Pitt Feb 26
- Notre Dame overwhelms Pitt in second half Jan 23