Miami DT Regis suspended for Georgia Tech gameOct 19, 2011 - 9:13 PM Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - Miami Hurricanes defensive tackle Micanor Regis has been suspended for Saturday's game against No. 20 Georgia Tech for a violation of team rules.
Regis punched North Carolina's Dwight Jones in the groin in last Saturday's 30-24 win over the Tar Heels.
"Micanor's actions in the North Carolina game will not be tolerated," said Hurricanes head coach Al Golden. "We expect our players to represent our program with class on and off the field, and when they do not, there are consequences. Quite honestly I'm embarrassed and I just apologized to Coach Withers and shared that sentiment. We do not teach, nor will we ever condone this type of behavior in our football program."
Regis said in a statement he was "truly sorry" for his actions.
"It was hurtful, wrong and embarrassing to both football programs, to both schools and to the millions of college football fans that were watching," Regis said. "Specifically, I want to apologize to Dwight Jones, [UNC interim coach Everett Withers] and the entire UNC football team. I am hoping and praying that you all forgive me for my actions."
Regis has 25 tackles and one sack so far this season.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Duke knocks off Miami, controls ACC Coastal Nov 16
- Hokies keep ACC hopes alive with win over Hurricanes Nov 10
- Miami seeks redemption in ACC clash with Virginia Tech Nov 6
- Hurricanes' Johnson has ankle surgery Nov 5
- Second half surge leads No. 3 FSU past No. 7 Miami Nov 3
- Miami RB Johnson injured vs. Florida State Nov 2
- Top 10 teams collide in Sunshine State showdown Oct 30
- Hurricanes survive challenge from Wake Forest, remain unbeaten Oct 26
- No. 7 Miami welcomes Wake Forest to Sunshine State Oct 23
- NCAA hits Miami with scholarship penalties, but no bowl ban Oct 22
- Hurricanes rally past Tar Heels to remain unbeaten Oct 18
- ACC action pits Hurricanes againt Tar Heels Oct 16