Miami DT Regis suspended for Georgia Tech gameOct 19, 2011 - 9:13 PM Coral Gables, FL (Sports Network) - Miami Hurricanes defensive tackle Micanor Regis has been suspended for Saturday's game against No. 20 Georgia Tech for a violation of team rules.
Regis punched North Carolina's Dwight Jones in the groin in last Saturday's 30-24 win over the Tar Heels.
"Micanor's actions in the North Carolina game will not be tolerated," said Hurricanes head coach Al Golden. "We expect our players to represent our program with class on and off the field, and when they do not, there are consequences. Quite honestly I'm embarrassed and I just apologized to Coach Withers and shared that sentiment. We do not teach, nor will we ever condone this type of behavior in our football program."
Regis said in a statement he was "truly sorry" for his actions.
"It was hurtful, wrong and embarrassing to both football programs, to both schools and to the millions of college football fans that were watching," Regis said. "Specifically, I want to apologize to Dwight Jones, [UNC interim coach Everett Withers] and the entire UNC football team. I am hoping and praying that you all forgive me for my actions."
Regis has 25 tackles and one sack so far this season.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Miami receives notice of allegations from NCAA Feb 20
- NCAA report details missteps in Miami investigation Feb 18
- NCAA finds problems with Miami-Florida investigation Jan 23
- Cristobal returns to Hurricanes Jan 10
- Miami to forgo bowl game again Nov 19
- Freeman, Seminoles drop Hurricanes Oct 21
- Sunshine State rivals clash in ACC affair Oct 17
- No. 9 Notre Dame dominates Miami-Florida Oct 7
- No. 21 K-State rolls past Miami-Florida Sep 8
- Hurricanes hope to blow past 21st-ranked Wildcats Sep 5
- NCAA Football Preview - Miami-Florida Hurricanes Aug 21
- Report: Hurricanes' Golden used booster to recruit players Jul 21