Tim DeRuyter named new head coach at Fresno StateDec 15, 2011 - 2:15 AM Fresno, CA (Sports Network) - Fresno State named Tim DeRuyter its new head football coach on Wednesday.
DeRuyter is currently the interim head coach at Texas A&M. He will begin his full-time coaching tenure with the Bulldogs after the Aggies' game versus Northwestern at the Meineke Car Care Bowl on December 31.
DeRuyter will take over for Pat Hill, who was fired earlier this month after a 4-9 season. Hill compiled a 112-80 record and went to 11 bowl games during his 15-year tenure with Fresno State.
DeRuyter has been an assistant head coach/defensive coordinator at Texas A&M for the past two seasons.
"It is with great pleasure that we welcome Tim DeRuyter and his family to Fresno State and the San Joaquin Valley," Fresno State director of athletics Thomas Boeh said. "Throughout his career Tim has continuously displayed the passion, integrity, expertise, innovation and commitment to his student- athletes that are the common trademarks of successful head football coaches. He has a clear plan for the future of our football program and shares our vision for the continual development of the Athletics Department."
The 48-year-old started coaching in 1991, when he served as the JV coach and varsity assistant at his alma mater, Air Force. From 1995-98, he served as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Ohio.
After a three-year stop as the secondary coach at Navy (1999-01), DeRuyter returned as the defensive coordinator at Ohio (2002-04). Following a two-year stint as the co-defensive coordinator at Nevada, DeRuyter returned to Air Force as defensive coordinator and safeties coach.
"My vision and plan is for a championship Fresno State football program," DeRuyter said. "We will build student-athletes into champions, both on and off the field. Fresno State is where I can live out my dream of building a team that can accomplish this. Along with that, I want to help fulfill the dreams of the Red Wave by winning conference championships and becoming a player once again on the national stage."
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Fresno State tops Utah State for Mountain West title Sun
- Aggies and Bulldogs meet in inaugural Mountain West title tilt Dec 4
- San Jose State ends Fresno State's BCS hopes Nov 29
- Fresno State hoping to put wraps on perfect regular season Nov 27
- Carr tosses 7 TDs as Fresno State rocks New Mexico Nov 23
- Lobos hit road to challenge 15th-ranked Bulldogs Nov 20
- Carr throws 4 TDs as Fresno State topples Wyoming Nov 10
- Fresno State puts perfect mark on line against Wyoming Nov 6
- Carr, Harper keep Fresno State unbeaten Nov 3
- Wolf Pack hunting for upset of 16th-ranked Bulldogs Oct 30
- Bulldogs remain unbeaten with OT win over Aztecs Oct 27
- No. 15 Fresno State pays visit to San Diego State Oct 23