Former WVU head coach Stewart diesMay 21, 2012 - 9:24 PM Morgantown, WV (Sports Network) - Former West Virginia head football coach Bill Stewart passed away on Monday afternoon of an apparent heart attack.
"Mountaineer nation is truly saddened today to learn of the untimely passing of Coach Bill Stewart," said West Virginia University president Jim Clements. "Our hearts go out to the Stewart family and Bill's many friends. He was a compassionate, energetic, and kind person. He loved his family dearly and was extremely community-oriented and very giving of his time. He will be greatly missed."
Stewart was golfing with former university athletic director Ed Pastilong at Stonewall Resort, which is located near the town of Roanoke and more than 60 miles southwest of Morgantown, when he suffered a heart attack. He was taken to a local hospital and died a short time later.
The 59-year-old West Virginia native came to the Mountaineers in 2000 from a two-year stint in the Canadian Football League. He spent seven seasons as an assistant, first under Don Nehlen and then under Rich Rodriguez, before being named to the top job following the departure of Rodriguez to Michigan before the end of the 2007 campaign.
He racked up a 28-12 mark over four seasons at the helm, including a 2-2 record in bowl games, the first of which was a Fiestal Bowl victory over Oklahoma. Following that victory in January of 2008, Stewart's interim tag was removed and he was tabbed full-time head coach.
Despite the knowledge that he would stay on for one more season, Stewart resigned in June of 2011 amidst allegations he asked reporters to delve into the personal life of then-offensive coordinator and current head coach Dana Holgorson.
A former player and coach at Fairmont State, Stewart also served as head coach for VMI from 1994-96, compiling an 8-25 mark. He also was employed as an assistant at Salem College, North Carolina, Marshall, William & Mary, Arizona State and Air Force.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Former Florida State quarterback to transfer to West Virginia May 1
- Syracuse runs all over WVU in Pinstripe Bowl Dec 29
- Former Big East rivals meet in 2012 Pinstripe Bowl Dec 29
- West Virginia WR Bailey going pro Dec 17
- Stills' late TD lifts No. 13 Oklahoma past WVU Nov 18
- West Virginia tries to right ship in bout with No. 13 Oklahoma Nov 14
- TCU tops West Virginia in 2 OT Nov 3
- Newest members of Big 12 meet, as TCU visits West Virginia Oct 31
- No. 4 Kansas State routs No. 17 West Virginia Oct 21
- West Virginia seeks redemption in Big 12 clash with K-State Oct 17
- Doege leads Red Raiders in upset over Mountaineers Oct 13
- West Virginia AD Luck gets extension Oct 12