Suspect in Auburn shooting turns himself inJun 13, 2012 - 2:56 AM Montgomery, AL (Sports Network) - The suspect in the shooting deaths of two former Auburn football players over the weekend turned himself in to authorities Tuesday night.
Desmonte D. Leonard, 22, is accused of shooting six people near the Auburn campus on Saturday night, killing three.
Auburn Police Chief Tommy Dawson said Leonard, through his attorney, turned himself in around 8 p.m. local time to Montgomery County Sheriff D.T. Marshall.
Dawson said Leonard is charged with three counts of capital murder, two counts of first-degree assault. Dawson added that Leonard will be held without bond in the Montgomery County jail.
"It's a relief we have him in custody," Dawson said. "We can wrap up loose ends and proceed, but in some sense in a case like this there is no relief because those boys aren't coming home. I know I've said it a lot, but I mean it.
"At the same time, Mr. Leonard has a mama and I'm sure she's grieving just as well. In a sense, she's lost a son. Everybody's got a mama, and mama always loves you."
Former players Edward Christian and LaDarious Phillips, both 20, were among the three killed in the shooting while current offensive lineman Eric Mack was wounded and is expected to fully recover. Auburn resident Demario Pitts, 20, died at a hospital.
"I know your young men won't be coming home, but hopefully this arrest will give you some closure," Dawson said in a message to the victims' parents. "It's not over. We're going to continue to investigate this case. We'll never forget the victims in this case."
On Monday night, authorities surrounded a house where Leonard was believed to be hiding. Tear gas was deployed and people in the neighborhood in east Montgomery were being asked to remain in their homes, but at the time law enforcement came up empty-handed.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Auburn responds to 2010 academic fraud allegations Apr 22
- Report: Auburn title team had grades changed, other issues Apr 4
- Auburn tabs Malzahn as new head coach Dec 4
- Auburn dumps Chizik Nov 25
- No. 2 Alabama stomps Auburn Nov 24
- Tide and Tigers tangle in Iron Bowl Nov 21
- No. 5 Georgia claims SEC East crown with rout of Auburn Nov 11
- Georgia will play for SEC title if it wins at Auburn Nov 7
- Manziel leads Aggies in rout of Tigers Oct 28
- Auburn entertains No. 22 Texas A&M in SEC battle Oct 24
- LSU hangs on to slip past Auburn Sep 23
- No. 2 LSU begins SEC slate at Auburn Sep 19