Old Dominion ineligible for CAA titleJun 19, 2012 - 7:38 PM Richmond, VA (Sports Network) - The Colonial Athletic Association's council of presidents has decided against allowing withdrawing member Old Dominion University from being eligible for its 2012 football championship and the conference's automatic bid to the FCS playoffs.
However, ODU will remain eligible for the playoffs as an at-large bid, which the Monarchs earned last season.
This is ODU's final season in the CAA after the Monarchs athletic program accepted an invitation last month to join Conference USA in the summer of 2013.
ODU football has been wildly successful in its first three seasons under head coach Bobby Wilder, posting a 27-8 record. The Monarchs tied for second place in the CAA and reached the second round of the FCS playoffs last year.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Nagy to coordinate Old Dominion defense Feb 18
- Old Dominion can compete for 2014 CUSA title Jan 23
- Georgia Southern's ground game too much for ODU Dec 8
- Georgia Southern-ODU rematch is an offensive slugfest Dec 5
- Heinicke fires six TDs in ODU playoff victory Dec 1
- ODU, Heinicke try to pass by Coastal Carolina Nov 29
- Old Dominion adds Rhode Island, Idaho to 2013 schedule Oct 22
- ODU to play at North Carolina in 2013 Oct 16
- ODU's Heinicke throws for D-I record 730 yards Sep 23
- Norfolk State, Old Dominion agree to new two-year series Sep 11
- CAA presidents to decide on ODU's eligibility for CAA title Jun 8