Northwestern State hires veteran defensive coordinatorJul 11, 2012 - 3:19 PM Natchitoches, LA (Sports Network) - Northwestern State head coach Bradley Dale Peveto announced on Tuesday the addition of Gary DeLoach as the Demons' new defensive coordinator.
DeLoach, who takes over as assistant head coach, defensive coordinator and safeties coach, previously spent time at the FBS level running defenses for North Texas, New Mexico State and as an assistant at UCLA.
He also has FCS experience during his time at Stephen F. Austin, where he served as defensive coordinator for the Lumberjacks for seven seasons from 1983-1989.
"He's as good an X and O's guy as there is in our business," Peveto said. "He's very knowledgeable, intense and great at handling players. He was that way when I coached with him 25 years ago and he's the same today."
DeLoach's appreciation for Southland Conference football and familiarity with Peveto made the decision an easy one to reunite with his old coach.
"There's great football played in the Southland Conference, outstanding talent, very good coaches. I have a lot of longtime friends coaching in that conference and they're as good as it gets," DeLoach said. "It's going to be a lot of fun."
The Demons, who finished 5-6 last season, will get to test their new defense on Sept. 1 when they open their season at Texas Tech.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- On Campus: A mad rush to FBS fame and glory 12:14p
- Time is now for a Hawkeyes resurgence 12:01p
- CAA Football could return to divisions Thu
- In the FCS Huddle: Is the FCS watching out for itself? Thu
- Elon to join Colonial Athletic Association Thu
- Former Penn State quarterback Bench transfers to South Florida Thu
- Dorm Report: The coaching carousel goes round and round Thu
- In the FCS Huddle: FCS conference rankings Wed
- Dorm Report: Weis set to change culture at Kansas Wed
- In the FCS Huddle: From safety to sideline Mon
- Buffs hoping to stampede way back to respectability May 17
- Delaware State player seriously injured in car crash May 16