Appalachian State dismisses LB Rizor from teamJul 31, 2012 - 5:08 PM Boone, NC (Sports Network) - Starting linebacker John Rizor has been dismissed from the Appalachian State football team for an undisclosed violation of team rules, the Southern Conference university announced Tuesday.
In addition, quarterback Kalik Barnes will not be permitted to participate in games during the 2012 season, also due to a violation of team rules.
Rizor, a redshirt senior from Fayetteville, N.C., would have been a third-year starter at the bandit position. He had 112 tackles, including 17 for loss and 9.5 sacks, over the last two seasons.
Barnes, a sophomore from Atlanta, will be permitted to practice with the Mountaineers in 2012 and remains on scholarship.
"John and Kalik made decisions that are not consistent with what we expect from members of our program," Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore said. "My hope is that this will serve as a learning experience not only for John and Kalik but for every player in our program."
The Mountaineers finished with an 8-4 record last season. They kick off their 2012 season on Sept. 1 at East Carolina.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- CAA Football could return to divisions 4:13p
- In the FCS Huddle: Is the FCS watching out for itself? 2:58p
- Elon to join Colonial Athletic Association 2:55p
- Former Penn State quarterback Bench transfers to South Florida 2:22p
- Dorm Report: The coaching carousel goes round and round 11:19a
- In the FCS Huddle: FCS conference rankings Wed
- Dorm Report: Weis set to change culture at Kansas Wed
- In the FCS Huddle: From safety to sideline Mon
- Buffs hoping to stampede way back to respectability May 17
- Delaware State player seriously injured in car crash May 16
- Former Virgina Tech WR transfers to William & Mary May 16
- On Campus: Head of the class May 16