Appalachian State dismisses LB Rizor from teamJul 31, 2012 - 5:08 PM Boone, NC (Sports Network) - Starting linebacker John Rizor has been dismissed from the Appalachian State football team for an undisclosed violation of team rules, the Southern Conference university announced Tuesday.
In addition, quarterback Kalik Barnes will not be permitted to participate in games during the 2012 season, also due to a violation of team rules.
Rizor, a redshirt senior from Fayetteville, N.C., would have been a third-year starter at the bandit position. He had 112 tackles, including 17 for loss and 9.5 sacks, over the last two seasons.
Barnes, a sophomore from Atlanta, will be permitted to practice with the Mountaineers in 2012 and remains on scholarship.
"John and Kalik made decisions that are not consistent with what we expect from members of our program," Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore said. "My hope is that this will serve as a learning experience not only for John and Kalik but for every player in our program."
The Mountaineers finished with an 8-4 record last season. They kick off their 2012 season on Sept. 1 at East Carolina.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Pitt's Donald cleans up at awards ceremony 9:15p
- Alabama's McCarron wins Maxwell Award 9:07p
- Donald nabs Bednarik Award 8:54p
- Memphis' Hornsey captures Ray Guy Award 8:29p
- Pitt's Donald wins Outland Trophy 8:25p
- Winston wins O'Brien Award 8:12p
- Cooks receives Biletnikoff Award 8:02p
- BC's Williams wins Doak Walker Award 8:01p
- FSU's Aguayo takes home Lou Groza Award 8:01p
- Michigan State's Dennard captures Jim Thorpe Award 8:01p
- FSU QB Winston wins Walter Camp Award 6:48p
- Brown says 'situation has not changed' Thu