Falcons add CB Samuel from EaglesApr 25, 2012 - 9:11 PM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - The Atlanta Falcons have acquired cornerback Asante Samuel from the Philadelphia Eagles for a seventh-round draft pick and signed the veteran to a new contract.
According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Samuel has agreed to terms on a three-year deal worth $18.5 million.
"We are pleased to be able to add a player of Asante's caliber to our roster," Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. "Asante has established himself as a very productive player during his career. He is a proven player in this league and we feel that this move upgrades the talent of our roster and improves our football team."
A four-time Pro Bowl selection during his nine-year career with Philadelphia and New England, Samuel has 45 career interceptions and 367 tackles.
Samuel spent his first five seasons with New England and was a member of two Super Bowl winners in his first two years with the Patriots, then signed with the Eagles as a free agent prior to the 2008 campaign.
"We just improved our team today," Falcons head coach Mike Smith said. "Asante Samuel is a good football player and you can never have enough good players on your team. Our game has become more of a passing game, and you have to have the players who can neutralize how offenses are trying to attack you."
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- NFL approves $200 million loan for Falcons' new stadium 11:04a
- Extra Points: No lazy days for veterans on the bubble 11:03a
- Eagles sign RB Felix Jones May 14
- Extra Points: Kelly changes the Eagles May 13
- Eagles get five draft picks under contract May 9
- Extra Points: Undrafted drama in Philly May 1
- Atlanta Falcons 2013 NFL Draft Review Apr 29
- Philadelphia Eagles 2013 NFL Draft Review Apr 29
- Extra Points: Barkley arrives in Philly with 'Chip' on his shoulder Apr 27
- Falcons' Moore arrested Apr 18
- Philadelphia Eagles 2013 Draft Preview Apr 15
- Atlanta Falcons 2013 Draft Preview Apr 15