Giants' Umenyiora agrees to restructured contractJun 1, 2012 - 9:43 PM East Rutherford, NY (Sports Network) - The New York Giants have agreed to a restructured contract with defensive end Osi Umenyiora.
Terms of the new deal were not disclosed. He had one year left on his deal worth $3.975 million.
"I appreciate Osi's patience and effort through this process," general manager Jerry Reese said. "We talked it out, and it makes sense for everybody involved. We are very pleased, excited and looking forward to seeing number 72 on the field at Monday's OTA."
Umenyiora has not participated in the team's drills thus far this spring because he wanted a new contract.
"I'm just happy, I'm happy all that's over with," Umenyiora said. "It's time to get back to work."
Umenyiora had 25 tackles and nine sacks in nine games last season for the Giants.
The pass-rushing specialist is a two-time Pro Bowl selection, with 69 sacks in his career, which places him fourth on the Giants' official career list. The 6-foot-3, 255-pounder also has 333 tackles in 113 career contests with New York. He has 30 forced fumbles and 13 fumble recoveries. He is the only player in Giants history with three touchdowns on fumble returns.
"This gives me peace of mind, definitely," Umenyiora said. "We just resolved a situation. It really was affecting me in a bad way. Because I didn't like all the negativity that was surrounding the whole situation. I couldn't stand it, because if you know me, you know I'm not that type of person. I'm just happy all that is over with and I'll be there. I'll play out this contract, I'll play this year and I'll play my heart out."
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Chargers get much-needed win over Giants 9:15p
- Pierre-Paul to miss second straight week Fri
- Chargers host Giants in important interconference matchup Fri
- Wilson headlines NFC's best for Week 13 Wed
- NFL: Refs erred at end of Giants-Redskins game Dec 2
- Strong second half leads Giants past Redskins Dec 2
- Giants' Pierre-Paul out for Sunday Nov 29
- NFC's 'Least' meet when Giants visit struggling 'Skins Nov 29
- Cowboys edge Giants with last second FG Nov 24
- Giants' Nicks inactive Nov 24
- Giants' Nicks questionable, Webster out against Cowboys Nov 22
- Blood bath? JPP, Giants renew rivalry with Cowboys Nov 22