Arbitrator rules for NFL in bounty grievanceJun 8, 2012 - 9:34 PM (Sports Network) - A second arbitrator has ruled against the NFL Players Association in a grievance involving the New Orleans Saints bounty case.
Shyam Das ruled in favor of the NFL on Friday, upholding the authority of Roger Goodell to discipline players after the union had sought to have appeals in the case heard by someone other than the commissioner.
It followed a ruling Monday by Stephen Burbank saying Goodell had authority to suspend four players for their roles in the bounty system.
The NFLPA had claimed the league waived its right to impose discipline on players for conduct occurring prior to the signing of the latest Collective Bargaining Agreement last August.
Players wanted Ted Cotrell and Art Shell to be part of the process because they were appointed by the league and union to review appeals for on-field conduct.
But Das dismissed the grievance, saying the provision waiver the union was relying on didn't constitute an agreement that Goodell relinquished his authority to discipline players for conduct occurring prior to the signing of the CBA on Aug. 4.
Goodell suspended Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma for the 2012 season, current Green Bay defensive lineman Anthony Hargrove for eight games, Saints defensive end Will Smith for four games and linebacker Scott Fujita, now with Cleveland, for three games.
All four players have appealed the suspensions. Their hearings will proceed on June 18, according to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Former Saints, Chargers star Muncie dies May 14
- Saints sign Jenkins, all draft picks now under contract May 10
- Saints ink four draft picks May 9
- New Orleans Saints 2013 NFL Draft Review Apr 29
- Jets acquire Ivory from Saints Apr 26
- Saints re-sign RB Ivory Apr 19
- Saints add Seneca Wallace Apr 15
- New Orleans Saints 2013 Draft Preview Apr 15
- Saints sign former first-round pick Smith Apr 11
- Saints add S Leonhard Apr 8
- Saints sign Coleman, McCown Apr 1
- Saints sign LB Butler Mar 28