Giants' Diehl charged with DWI after crashJun 12, 2012 - 12:13 AM East Rutherford, NJ (Sports Network) - New York Giants tackle David Diehl has been charged with DWI after allegedly crashing into two parked cars in Queens on Sunday.
The offensive lineman apologized to family, fans and teammates on Twitter and the Giants said they were aware of the situation.
The New York Post said Diehl spent the night at the 114th Precinct station house after his blood-alcohol level registered twice the legal limit following the incident Sunday night in the Astoria neighborhood.
Sources told the paper Diehl had come from a bar several blocks away, where he had been watching a Euro 2012 soccer match between Croatia and Ireland.
"I've worked hard during my career to set a positive example, and yesterday I fell far short of this standard," the lineman wrote in a statement on Twitter.
"I apologize to my family, my fans, the New York Giants, and the NFL. I made a poor decision that I sincerely regret, and, as always, take full responsibility for my actions."
The Giants said they have not yet had a chance to discuss the incident with Diehl.
"Since it is an ongoing legal matter, we will refrain from comment at this time, although we will say that David has been an outstanding representative of this organization for the past 10 years, and nobody knows more than David does what is expected of our players both on and off the field," the Giants said.
Diehl has been a steady presence on the Giants offensive line since he was drafted in the fifth round in 2003. He has started all 16 games in eight of his nine NFL seasons and won two Super Bowls with the team.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Chargers get much-needed win over Giants Sun
- Pierre-Paul to miss second straight week Dec 6
- Chargers host Giants in important interconference matchup Dec 6
- Wilson headlines NFC's best for Week 13 Dec 4
- NFL: Refs erred at end of Giants-Redskins game Dec 2
- Strong second half leads Giants past Redskins Dec 2
- Giants' Pierre-Paul out for Sunday Nov 29
- NFC's 'Least' meet when Giants visit struggling 'Skins Nov 29
- Cowboys edge Giants with last second FG Nov 24
- Giants' Nicks inactive Nov 24
- Giants' Nicks questionable, Webster out against Cowboys Nov 22
- Blood bath? JPP, Giants renew rivalry with Cowboys Nov 22