Arbitrator rules in favor of BreesJul 3, 2012 - 6:17 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - An arbitrator ruled in favor of New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees in a franchise tag grievance.
Brees, who is under the franchise tag for a second time in his career, will receive a hefty pay raise if he is franchised for a third time. Instead of being entitled to a 20 percent raise for a second franchise tag with one team, he will receive a 44 percent hike for a third career franchise designation.
"We are very pleased that the arbitrator agreed with the NFLPA that the correct interpretation of the "third time" franchise player designation in the CBA applies across clubs, and a player's rights will not be unfairly hindered if different clubs designate him as a franchise player during his career," said the NFLPA in a statement.
Brees was first slapped with the franchise tag while a member of the San Diego Chargers.
The Saints and Brees are still trying to iron out a long-term contract. Brees has not attended any of the Saints' offseason activities and has until July 16 to sign his franchise tender, which would pay him $16.3 million for the 2012 season.
"We are very happy that Drew Brees has clarification on this matter, and we hope that it facilitates a successful negotiation for Drew and the Saints," the NFLPA statement concluded.
Brees, who led the Saints to the Super Bowl title after the 2009 season, is coming off a record-setting 2011 campaign. He established new NFL marks with 5,476 passing yards, 468 completions and a 71.2 completion percentage.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Former Saints, Chargers star Muncie dies May 14
- Saints sign Jenkins, all draft picks now under contract May 10
- Saints ink four draft picks May 9
- New Orleans Saints 2013 NFL Draft Review Apr 29
- Jets acquire Ivory from Saints Apr 26
- Saints re-sign RB Ivory Apr 19
- Saints add Seneca Wallace Apr 15
- New Orleans Saints 2013 Draft Preview Apr 15
- Saints sign former first-round pick Smith Apr 11
- Saints add S Leonhard Apr 8
- Saints sign Coleman, McCown Apr 1
- Saints sign LB Butler Mar 28