Report: Chad Johnson arrested for domestic violenceAug 12, 2012 - 4:57 AM (Sports Network) - Miami Dolphins wide receiver Chad Johnson was arrested Saturday night on a domestic violence charge, according to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.
According to the report, which cites Davie Police Department captain Dale Engle, Johnson allegedly head-butted his new wife, Evelyn Lozada, during an argument in a vehicle.
Lozada had lacerations on her forehead when police arrived at the scene. She was later transported to Westside Regional Hospital.
Johnson and his wife returned home after going to a restaurant for dinner. The argument started when Lozada found a receipt for condoms in the car.
"We are aware of the situation and are in the process of gathering all of the relevant information," the Dolphins said in a statement.
Johnson remained in jail as of late Saturday night and won't be eligible for release until a bail hearing is set, which could be as late as Monday.
This is the first time Johnson has been arrested during his 12-year NFL career. But according to the paper, he was arrested in college for a domestic dispute.
Johnson signed with Dolphins this offseason after spending last season with the New England Patriots.
The 34-year-old Johnson played his first 10 seasons for the Cincinnati Bengals and has 766 career catches for 11,059 yards and 67 touchdowns.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Dolphins shut down struggling Jets Sun
- Dolphins' Martin won't play again this season Nov 30
- Report: Incognito to remain suspended Nov 30
- Jets and Dolphins meet in must-win matchup Nov 29
- Dolphins lose RB Thomas to ankle injury Nov 25
- Lucky 7: Panthers extend win streak on late TD Nov 24
- Dolphins without Pouncey, Patterson Nov 24
- Wells finishes initial round of interviews in Miami Nov 24
- Panthers shoot for 7th straight, visit Dolphins Nov 22
- Incognito's grievance hearing postponed Nov 21
- Report: More allegations against Incognito Nov 19
- Wells ready to question Dolphins this week Nov 18