Art Modell, former Ravens and Browns owner, passes away at 87Sep 6, 2012 - 12:04 PM Owings Mills, MD (Sports Network) - The National Football League lost a legendary figure on Thursday, as former Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell passed away at the age of 87.
Modell died of natural causes at John Hopkins Hospital. His son, former Ravens president David Modell, confirmed the news in a statement released by the Ravens.
"Sadly, I can confirm that my father died peacefully of natural causes at 4 a.m. this morning," David Modell said. "My brother John Modell and I were with him when he finally rejoined the absolute love of his life, my mother Pat Modell, who passed away last October.
"'Poppy' was a special man who was loved by his sons, his daughter-in-law Michel, and his six grandchildren. Moreover, he was adored by the entire Baltimore community for his kindness and generosity. And, he loved Baltimore. He made an important and indelible contribution to the lives of his children, grandchildren and his entire community. We will miss him."
Modell purchased the Cleveland Browns in 1961 for $4 million, an unprecedented sum at that time. The Browns won the NFL Championship in 1964, blanking the Baltimore Colts, 27-0.
Three decades later he uprooted the franchise, moving to Baltimore in 1996. However, he did leave behind the Browns franchise name.
Behind one of the most stout defensive units, the Ravens won the Super Bowl after the 2000 season, crushing the New York Giants by a 34-7 score.
Financial issues forced Modell to sell a minority share of the team to Steve Bisciotti in 1999 before yielding controlling interest to Bisciotti in 2004.
Modell served as NFL president from 1967-69 and as the chairman of the NFL's television committee for 31 years (1962-93). He also led negotiations on the NFL's first collective bargaining agreement with its players in 1968.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Extra Points: Missing the mark on Tomlin 1:47p
- Ravens get to .500 with narrow win over Steelers Nov 29
- Tom Brady highlights AFC Players of the Week Nov 27
- Steelers and Ravens top off Turkey Day Nov 27
- Big Ben highlights AFC's Players of the Month Nov 27
- Tucker kicks four field goals as Ravens top Jets Nov 24
- Ravens DT Ngata to play Sunday; Pitta remains on IR Nov 24
- Ravens' DT Ngata questionable to face Jets Nov 22
- Jets and Ravens jockey in important AFC clash Nov 22
- Ravens TE Pitta returns to practice Nov 20
- Bears weather storm, top Ravens in OT Nov 17
- Ravens' Ngata inactive Nov 17