Art Modell, former Ravens and Browns owner, passes away at 87Sep 6, 2012 - 12:04 PM Owings Mills, MD (Sports Network) - The National Football League lost a legendary figure on Thursday, as former Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns owner Art Modell passed away at the age of 87.
Modell died of natural causes at John Hopkins Hospital. His son, former Ravens president David Modell, confirmed the news in a statement released by the Ravens.
"Sadly, I can confirm that my father died peacefully of natural causes at 4 a.m. this morning," David Modell said. "My brother John Modell and I were with him when he finally rejoined the absolute love of his life, my mother Pat Modell, who passed away last October.
"'Poppy' was a special man who was loved by his sons, his daughter-in-law Michel, and his six grandchildren. Moreover, he was adored by the entire Baltimore community for his kindness and generosity. And, he loved Baltimore. He made an important and indelible contribution to the lives of his children, grandchildren and his entire community. We will miss him."
Modell purchased the Cleveland Browns in 1961 for $4 million, an unprecedented sum at that time. The Browns won the NFL Championship in 1964, blanking the Baltimore Colts, 27-0.
Three decades later he uprooted the franchise, moving to Baltimore in 1996. However, he did leave behind the Browns franchise name.
Behind one of the most stout defensive units, the Ravens won the Super Bowl after the 2000 season, crushing the New York Giants by a 34-7 score.
Financial issues forced Modell to sell a minority share of the team to Steve Bisciotti in 1999 before yielding controlling interest to Bisciotti in 2004.
Modell served as NFL president from 1967-69 and as the chairman of the NFL's television committee for 31 years (1962-93). He also led negotiations on the NFL's first collective bargaining agreement with its players in 1968.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Extra Points: McClain needs to retire the immaturity Fri
- Rolando McClain retires from NFL May 15
- Ravens' Pitta signs free agent tender May 13
- Ravens acquire C Shipley from Colts May 9
- Steve Spagnuolo joins Ravens' staff May 3
- Ravens re-sign OT McKinnie May 2
- Baltimore Ravens 2013 NFL Draft Review Apr 29
- Report: McClain arrested in Alabama Apr 22
- Ravens ink QB Hanie Apr 17
- Baltimore Ravens 2013 NFL Draft Preview Apr 16
- McClain passes physical, signs one-year deal with Ravens Apr 12
- Ravens set to add LB McClain Apr 10