Double trouble: Boedker's OT score puts Blackhawks on brinkApr 20, 2012 - 3:42 AM
Boedker capitalized on a turnover at center ice and broke free up the middle, but a pair of Chicago defenders closed in as he approached Corey Crawford. While momentarily tied up by Blackhawks rearguard Nick Leddy, the winger managed to push the puck through Crawford's pads and over the goal line for the decider.
Shane Doan and Taylor Pyatt also scored for the Coyotes, who took a commanding 3-1 series edge and can advance to the next round with a Saturday win on home ice.
Mike Smith stopped 30-of-32 shots.
Brendan Morrison and Michael Frolik provided the offense for the Blackhawks, who erased a 2-0 deficit late in regulation.
Crawford finished with just 16 saves.
Phoenix hit the scoreboard at 7:03 of the third period. Doan stripped Johnny Oduya inside the Chicago zone and fed across to Ray Whitney for a blistering one-timer. Crawford did the splits to stop it, but the rebound kicked back to Doan in the slot for a successful turnaround shot.
It was 2-0 just 44 seconds later when Pyatt netted his second of the postseason.
The Blackhawks responded with 9:35 remaining as a Morrison drive from the right circle deflected off the stick of a Coyotes defender and sailed over Smith's glove.
Despite misfiring on a subsequent power play, the hosts stayed alive by killing off a tripping penalty to Patrick Sharp.
Then, seconds after Crawford was called to the bench, Frolik managed to tap in a loose puck from the left side of the crease to tie things with 1:26 remaining.
It was the third time in four games that Chicago rallied to force OT after pulling the goaltender for an extra attacker.
The Coyotes/Jets franchise hasn't advanced to the second round since Winnipeg did so in 1987 by topping the Calgary Flames in a Smythe Division semifinal...They have blown three previous 3-1 series advantages (1990 vs. EDM; 1992 vs. VAN; 1999 vs. STL)...Prior to the game, the NHL fined Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville $10,000 for his comments towards officials in Game 3, who failed to recognize a questionable hit by Phoenix forward Raffi Torres on 'Hawks veteran Marian Hossa that landed Hossa in the hospital...Hossa was a scratch...All four games in this series have been decided in overtime, the first time that's happened since the 1951 Stanley Cup Final between Montreal and Toronto.
- PHOENIX: 3
Final - OT
Apr 19 10:48 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mikkel Boedker (2), at 2:15.
Coyotes 3, Blackhawks 2 OT - 17:45Apr 19 10:48 PM
- PHOENIX: 2
End of 2nd
Apr 19 10:29 PM
- Chicago Goal - Michael Frolik (2), at 18:34.
Coyotes 2, Blackhawks 2 3rd - 1:26Apr 19 10:26 PM
- Chicago Goal - Jonathan Toews (2), at 10:25.
Coyotes 2, Blackhawks 1 3rd - 9:35Apr 19 10:10 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Taylor Pyatt (2), at 7:46.
Coyotes 2, Blackhawks 0 3rd - 12:14Apr 19 10:07 PM
- Ray Whitney slap shot on Corey Crawford.
Coyotes 1, Blackhawks 0 3rd - 12:57Apr 19 10:02 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
End of 1st
Apr 19 9:35 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 19 8:10 PM
- Sabres host Coyotes in matchup of lottery-bound clubs 10:51a
- Mason, Flyers take down Blackhawks 12:53a
- Timonen returns as Blackhawks visit Flyers Wed
- Coyotes snap losing streak with OT win in Detroit Tue
- Red Wings eye win streak against Coyotes Tue
- Crawford, Blackhawks down Hurricanes Mon
- Blackhawks aim to bounce back against 'Canes Mon
- Edler, Canucks edge Coyotes Mon
- Canucks try to aid postseason cause in Arizona Sun
- Penguins end skid with win over Coyotes Sun
- Lehtonen, Stars shut out Blackhawks Sat
- Pens aim to solve scoring woes in Arizona Mar 21