Calgary acquires and signs defenseman WidemanJun 27, 2012 - 7:48 PM Calgary, AB (Sports Network) - The Calgary Flames traded Jordan Henry and a 2013 fifth-round pick to the Washington Capitals for defenseman Dennis Wideman.
Wideman, who was set to be a free agent on July 1, signed a five-year deal with Calgary worth an average of $5.25 million.
The 29-year-old defenseman has played seven years in the league, spending time in St. Louis, Boston, Florida and Washington. He has 67 career goals and 184 assists in 535 games. Throughout his career, Wideman is a minus-39.
Last season, Wideman made his first All-Star team, scoring 11 goals and posting 46 points for the Caps, who made it to the Eastern Conference Semifinals.
Henry, 26, played 16 games with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL last season, recording two assists in 16 games.
Calgary also announced an agreement with forward Blake Comeau on a one-year deal, worth $1.25 million.
The Flames acquired the veteran forward off waivers from the New York Islanders last November. In 58 games with Calgary, Comeau netted five goals and set up 10 others.
In his six-year career with the Isles and Flames, Comeau has played in 319 games and has 61 goals and 75 assists.
Comeau had a career season in 2010-11, when he followed up a 17-goal campaign with a career-best 24 and 46 points. However, he was waived shortly into the following season.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Lundqvist, Rangers blank Caps to win series May 14
- Caps host Rangers in Game 7 May 13
- Brassard, Lundqvist help Rangers force Game 7 in Washington May 12
- Caps try to eliminate Rangers in NYC May 12
- Ribeiro's OT goal gives Caps 3-2 series lead vs. Rangers May 11
- Crosby, Ovechkin and Tavares named Hart Trophy finalists May 10
- Caps, Rangers fight for series lead in D.C. May 10
- Rangers hold serve at home, even series with Caps May 9
- Rangers hope to tie series with Caps May 8
- Rangers' offense comes alive in Game 3 win May 7
- Struggling Rangers return home down 2-0 to Caps May 6
- Green's OT winner lifts Caps past Rangers May 4