Flames bring back SarichJun 29, 2012 - 6:19 PM Calgary, AB (Sports Network) - The Calgary Flames have re-signed defenseman Cory Sarich to a two-year contract worth $4 million.
Sarich has spent the past five seasons with the Flames and last year posted a goal with six assists for seven points in 62 games. The stay-at-home blueliner has 10 goals and 57 points in 351 games for the Flames, who first signed him as a free agent in July 2007.
"When we set about the process of improving our blue line we identified the need for a puck-mover who could play the point on the power play and help us offensively, and we also wanted a time-space eliminator who hits and competes and brings a sandpaper element to his game," said Flames general manager Jay Feaster in a statement. "We took care of the first need (Wednesday) by acquiring and signing Dennis Wideman, and we checked the box on the second need (Friday) by re-upping Cory Sarich."
Sarich has appeared in 887 games since making his NHL debut with Buffalo during the 1998-99 season. He was selected by the Sabres in the second round of the 1996 draft and spent parts of two seasons with the Sabres before playing six-plus years with Tampa Bay.
"Cory is a true competitor who plays the game the right way, with fire and grit," Feaster added. "He is capable of delivering the big hit and as such keeps opposing players honest, he eliminates time and space down low, he moves the puck well with a good first pass, he is one of the leaders in our room, and he is a well-liked and well-respected teammate. We are thrilled to have Cory back in the fold on a contract that fits within our plan and enables us to continue to improve our hockey team."
The Saskatoon native has 20 goals and 146 points in his career, winning a Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay in the spring of 2004.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Flames take care of Coyotes 1:24a
- Coyotes hope to continue scoring binge in Calgary 10:59a
- Cammalleri's late tally lifts Flames over Kings Sun
- Kings host Flames seeking club-record point streak Sat
- Penner, Ducks take down Flames Nov 29
- Ducks try to move past collapse vs. Flames Nov 29
- Flames' Wideman, Monahan out with injuries Nov 28
- Kane, Blackhawks rally past Flames Nov 28
- Blackhawks aim for revenge against Berra, Flames Nov 27
- Monahan lifts Flames past Panthers in SO Nov 23
- Flames acquire LW Lane MacDermid from Stars Nov 22
- Flames try to halt home skid vs. Panthers Nov 22