Flames re-sign Stempniak and JonesJun 29, 2012 - 10:15 PM Calgary, AB (Sports Network) - The Calgary Flames signed forwards Lee Stempniak and Blair Jones on Friday.
Stempniak's deal is worth $5 million over two years. The 29-year-old winger scored 14 goals and had 28 points in 61 games for the Flames last season.
"We like what Lee Stempniak brings to our lineup, and our team missed him a lot with an injury last year," Flames general manager Jay Feaster said. "We believe Lee continues to have strong upside offensively, and he has demonstrated that he can be responsible at both ends of the ice. His skating style and willingness to get in on the forecheck will fit in nicely with Bob Hartley's up-tempo style, and he provides the coaching staff with more options on the power play."
In eight seasons in St. Louis, Toronto, Phoenix and Calgary, Stempniak has 129 goals and 146 helpers in 517 games.
Jones also signed a two-year deal with the Flames.
"Blair Jones is the type of 'hard to play against' player we want in our lineup," remarked Feaster. "He is a big body, he is fearless, he drives hard to the net and takes defenders with him, he uses his body effectively in both zones and he is versatile in that he can play on the third or fourth line, kills penalties, blocks shots and can be seen occasionally on the power play for a net-front presence.
"In addition, we believe he is only going to continue to get better as he works on other aspects of his game such as face offs and being an irritant to play against. We are pleased to have him signed."
Jones, 26, split time between the Flames and the Tampa Bay Lightning last season and registered eight points and 18 penalty minutes in 43 games.
In 99 career games, he has posted 14 points and 32 PIMs.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Flames complete season with loss at Chicago Apr 27
- Mighty Blackhawks play host to Flames Apr 26
- Blues move up in standings with win over Flames Apr 25
- Playoff-bound Blues host Flames Apr 25
- Predators edge Flames to halt skid Apr 24
- Flames aim to stay hot against Predators Apr 23
- Flames hold back playoff-hopeful Wild Apr 22
- Wild take on pesky Flames Apr 21
- Flames sign MacDonald to one-year contract Apr 20
- Flames down Ducks in home finale Apr 20
- Flames' Wideman has broken finger Apr 19
- Ducks visit Flames with focus on division title Apr 19