Hurricanes give Jordan Staal 10-year dealJul 1, 2012 - 3:56 PM Raleigh, NC (Sports Network) - The Carolina Hurricanes and center Jordan Staal have agreed to terms on a 10-year contract extension.
The deal begins with the 2013-14 NHL season and extends through the 2022-23 campaign, paying Staal $6 million per year.
The Hurricanes acquired Staal from the Pittsburgh Penguins on June 22. Carolina sent Brandon Sutter, Bryan Dumoulin and the eighth-overall pick in this year's draft to the Penguins.
"We are very pleased that Jordan has chosen to commit to the Hurricanes organization and to make North Carolina his home," Carolina president and general manager Jim Rutherford said. "At 23 years old he is just starting to come into his prime, and he now represents a cornerstone of our franchise for the long term."
Staal posted 25 goals and 50 points in 62 regular season games, then struck for six goals and nine points in a six-game first-round playoff loss to rival Philadelphia.
Since breaking into the NHL with Pittsburgh in 2006, the Ontario native has compiled 120 goals and 248 points in 431 regular-season games, adding 23 goals and 36 points in 73 postseason appearances. He helped the Penguins to a Stanley Cup title in the spring of 2009.
Staal, who was dealt on his wedding day, will join his older brother Eric, who has starred for the Hurricanes since 2003.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Hurricanes activate Semin from IR 4:27p
- Trying to find win column on trip, 'Canes visit Flames 11:04a
- Oilers regroup to down Hurricanes in OT Wed
- Hurricanes continue swing with stop in Edmonton Tue
- Lack posts shutout in Vancouver win over Carolina Tue
- Canucks aim to extend hot streak against 'Canes Mon
- Lindholm, Hurricanes down Sharks Dec 7
- Sharks aim to rebound in clash with Hurricanes Dec 6
- Skinner's trifecta leads Hurricanes past Predators Dec 6
- Preds aim to snap skid in home matchup with 'Canes Dec 5
- Skinner scores twice as Hurricanes top Capitals Dec 3
- Capitals play host to rival Hurricanes Dec 3