IndyCar schedule to remain at 15 racesJun 25, 2012 - 9:18 PM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - IndyCar officials revealed on Monday they will no longer pursue a replacement for the canceled August 19 race in China.
The 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series season will include 15 races, ending with the September 15 event at Fontana, CA, which has now been extended to 500 miles in distance.
Following the cancellation of China earlier this month, IndyCar had been seeking a potential replacement to keep this year's series schedule at 16 races.
"After carefully considering all possible options for an additional race, we felt it was in our best interest to keep our schedule at its current 15-event lineup," IndyCar Chief Executive Officer Randy Bernard said in a statement. "We want to make sure that when we add events to our roster they have long- term potential and are given every opportunity to be successfully promoted. The more we explored, the more we felt like we were rushing what could be good, long-lasting opportunities for the sport."
The season-finale at Auto Club Speedway had originally been scheduled for 400 miles. The two-mile racetrack last hosted a 500-mile IndyCar race in 2002, which was won by Jimmy Vasser.
"We wanted to do something special to enhance the excitement to the season finale and renew the tradition of 500-mile open-wheel races in Southern California," Bernard said. "We think it's something our fans will enjoy and adds another element to what is already shaping up to be an exciting championship battle."
After winning last Saturday night's race at Iowa Speedway, Ryan Hunter-Reay moved to within three points of leader Will Power. The next IndyCar race is slated for July 8 in Toronto.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Dillon to drive the No. 3 for RCR in Sprint Cup next season Wed
- The Inside Line: Strange but memorable season in Sprint Cup Tue
- DiCaprio enters team in electric race car series Mon
- F1 awarding double points in 2014 season-finale Mon
- Earnhardt Jr. voted most popular driver for 11th straight time Dec 5
- Burton driving for Michael Waltrip Racing in 2014 Dec 2
- The Inside Line: Unforgettable season for Vettel but not F1 Nov 27
- Vettel ends F1 season with historic win in Brazil Nov 24
- Vettel storms to Brazilian GP pole Nov 23
- Vettel aiming for ninth straight F1 win Nov 22
- Stewart-Haas, Roush Fenway make changes to teams for 2014 Nov 19
- The Inside Line: Sorry, McNabb, but Johnson really is an athlete Nov 18