Marussia's de Villota in 'critical but stable' conditionJul 4, 2012 - 10:29 PM London, England (Sports Network) - Marussia said on Wednesday that Formula One test driver Maria de Villota remains hospitalized in "critical but stable condition" one day after suffering multiple injuries during an accident while testing.
Team principal John Booth noted in a medical update that de Villota lost her right eye as a result of the crash. The 32-year-old underwent lengthy surgery to address serious head and facial injuries.
De Villota, in her first test session with Marussia since joining the team in March, collided into the team's support truck during the end of her first installation run on Tuesday at Duxford Airfield in England. She was transported by ambulance to Addenbrooke's Hospital in nearby Cambridge. De Villota reportedly sustained life-threatening injuries, but the team stated in an update hours after the crash that she was "conscious."
"We are grateful for the medical attention that Maria has been receiving, and her family would like to thank the neurological and plastics surgical teams," Booth said in a team statement. "However it is with great sadness that I must report that, due to the injuries she sustained, Maria has lost her right eye.
"Maria's care and the well-being of her family remain our priority at this time. Her family are at the hospital, and we are doing everything possible to support them."
De Villota is the daughter of former Formula One driver and British Formula One Series champion Emilio de Villota.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Kyle Busch makes Nationwide 'history' with Charlotte win 7:26p
- Rosberg tops teammate Hamilton for Monaco GP pole 1:12p
- Menard extends contract with Richard Childress Racing Fri
- Pagenaud quickest in final Indy 500 practice Fri
- Hamlin sets new track qualifying record at Charlotte Thu
- F1 drivers prepare for difficult task in Monaco GP Thu
- Annett set for return at Charlotte after Daytona injury Thu
- Coca-Cola 600 a long and tiring race for drivers Thu
- Can Franchitti or Castroneves win their fourth Indy 500 this year? Thu
- This Week in Auto Racing May 23 - 26 Thu
- Jarrett, Petty among new inductees into the NASCAR HOF Wed
- The Inside Line: Allmendinger's dream come true May 20