Stenhouse Jr. claims pole for ChicagolandJul 22, 2012 - 6:02 PM Joliet, IL (Sports Network) - Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will start on the pole for Sunday's STP 300 Nationwide Series race after topping the qualifying charts at Chicagoland Speedway.
Stenhouse, the defending Nationwide champion, posted a lap at 176.916 mph for his third pole of the season and the seventh of his career.
He is one of the four drivers eligible for the $100,000 "Dash 4 Cash" bonus in this race. Elliott Sadler, Austin Dillon and Sam Hornish Jr. are also eligible. The highest finisher among those four will collect the cash award.
Dillon earned the outside pole with a lap at 176.783 mph. Hornish Jr. qualified third, while Kyle Busch, who is the only Sprint Cup Series regular competing in this event, and Parker Kligerman rounded out the top-five.
Sadler, the current points leader, will start 15th, one spot ahead of Justin Allgaier, who is the defending race winner.
Brian Scott, Mike Bliss, Cole Whitt, Ryan Truex and Brendan Gaughan qualified sixth through 10th, respectively.
All 43 drivers who attempted qualifying made the start field for the 300-mile race, which is scheduled to start just after 3 p.m. (ET).
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Johnson claims record fourth win in all-star race 1:58a
- Carpenter surprise pole winner for Indianapolis 500 10:37p
- Patrick wins fan vote for final spot in all-star race 9:34p
- McMurray, Stenhouse Jr. advance into all-star race 9:01p
- Busch wins fifth truck race at Charlotte Fri
- Edwards claims all-star pole, Johnson qualifies 18th Fri
- Ex-driver Trickle dies of self-inflicted gunshot wound Thu
- Crafton looking forward to Charlotte truck race Thu
- 'No holds barred' in NASCAR's all-star race Thu
- This Week in Auto Racing May 17 - 19 Thu
- The Inside Line: Hamlin more confident now of making Chase May 13
- Alonso delights home crowd with Spanish GP win May 12