Lille signs French midfielder MartinJun 21, 2012 - 4:50 PM Lille, France (Sports Network) - France midfielder Marvin Martin transferred to Lille from Ligue 1 rival Sochaux on Thursday on a five-year contract.
The 24-year-old Martin was used off the bench at Euro 2012 in Group D matches against England and Ukraine, and has played 14 times for France.
The playmaker had eight goals and 29 assists in 113 Ligue 1 games for Sochaux. He had 17 assists in the 2010-11 season for the club, and makes the switch to Lille for a fee reported to be around $12.5 million.
"I am very happy," Martin said. "I wanted to sign for Lille because they are an ambitious club I have been interested in for a long time."
Martin will join fellow French international Yohan Cabaye, Mathieu Debuchy and Adil Rami at Lille.
"Whether it was Yohan, Adil or 'Debuch,' they all advised me to sign for Lille," Martin said. "We actually spoke quite a bit and they really made me feel comfortable with my decision because they only had positive things to say about the club."
Martin will help fill the void left by Eden Hazard's move to Chelsea.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Girard takes reins at Lille Fri
- Nice midfielder Anin injured in car crash Jun 5
- Monaco announces Falcao capture May 31
- PSG's Leonardo handed nine-month ban May 31
- PSG concludes Ligue 1 campaign in style May 26
- Lyon hopes to lock up Champions League place May 24
- Monaco agrees deal to sign Moutinho, Rodriguez from Porto May 24
- Menez ruled out of France friendlies May 23
- Galtier signs St. Etienne extension May 21
- Lyon, Nice exchange second-half goals in Ligue 1 draw May 19
- Beckham marks final home match with victory May 18
- Beckham set to play final home match with PSG May 17